Create an account
17. The United States involvement in Vietnam increased dramatically in the 1950s with the withdrawal of the
19. One reason early twentieth century muckrakers were able to have a significant impact on society was because
A) sales and circulation of newspapers and magazines increased
23. Jacob Riis is bet known for his work in the 1890s as a
A) labor organizer and Socialist Party activist
26. Between 1870 and 1900, farmers did all of the following in an attempt to better their condition EXCEPT
B) limit production of crops
28. The National Organization for Women (NOW) was founded in 1966 in order to
B) challenge sex discrimination in the workplace
30. Which of the following is a true statement about the Treaty of Paris that ended the American Revolutionary War?
B) It recognized United States sovereignty over territory east of the Mississippi, between the Great Lakes and Florida.
35. The "graying" of America since the 1970s is widely seen as threatening which of the following?
C) The long-term viability of the social security system
36. Marcus Garvey's prominence during the 1920s arose from his
B) emphasis of a political party of Black pride and Black nationalism
37. The 1979 incident at Three Mile Island had which of the following effects?
E) It increased support for the movement against nuclear power.
41. The first attempt to apply the doctrine of popular sovereignty in determining the status of slavery occurred in
45. The Constitutional Convention designed the electoral college to
E) insulate the presidency from the popular will
47. Under Chief Justice John Marshall, Supreme Court decisions tended to
A) promote business enterprise
48. The women's movement in the antebellum period was characterized by all of the following EXCEPT
E) demands for equal compensation for equal work
51. The decisions of the Supreme Court in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries generally did which of the following?
A) Strengthened the position of big businesses
54. Which of the following conditions in England motivated Puritans to migrate to New England in the 1630s?
E) I. Political repression of dissident Protestants; II. An economic recession; III. Restrictions on Puritan religious practices
55. Policy initiatives during Franklin D. Roosevelt's first two presidential terms included all of the following EXCEPT
D) nationalizing basic industries
58. Which of the following is true of the slave system in eighteenth century British North America?
C) Slaveowners gained increased legal power over their states
63. Which of the following best accounts for the success of the American Federation of Labor in organizing labor in the late 1800s?
A) Its policy or organizing only skilled craftsmen
66. The Northwest Ordinances did which of the following?
D) Established the terms for settlement and admission of new states
68. Daniel Webster's address to the Senate in 1830 in reply to Senator Hayne is best remembered for its
B) defense of the principle of national union
69. The Dawes Act (1887) did which of the following?
A) Divided Native American tribal lands into individual holdings
70. In the Colonial period, Quakers were known for all of the following EXCEPT their
D) refusal to pay taxes
74. The Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862, is considered pivotal to the outcome of the Civil War because it
B) forestalled the possibility of European intervention
76. The Stono Rebellion and the New York conspiracy trials of 1741 revealed which of the following?
E) Resistance to slavery
77. The illustration above was most likely meant to symbolize which of the following?
A) the principles of republican agrarianism
78. Although Congress accepted most of Alexander Hamilton's economic proposals, it rejected his
B) call for direct subsidies to manufactures
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together