Create an account
1) The area of the city where retail and office activities historically were clustered was the
A) central business district. B) central city. C) urbanized area. D) metropolitan statistical area.
2) Retail activities which tend to concentrate in the CBD include those which have
service for office workers.
5) As a result of high land costs, the American CBD is characterized by
construction of skyscrapers.
6) What activity tends to locate on the street-level floor of a skyscraper in a typical North American CBD?
) European CBDs are similar to those in North America because they both contain
retail and office activities.
9) Public transportation is better suited for commuting to the CBD primarily because
each traveler takes up less space.
) Because so few people live in the CBD, urban areas are characterized by a high degree of
13) The most important political reason for the origin of settlements was a place to
protect the group's assets.
15) Residents of rural settlements are more likely than residents of urban settlements to work in
16) Rural settlements differ from urban settlements primarily according to which type of activity?
17) A place where farm buildings, homes, and churches are found close together is what kind of settlement?
20) The most significant impact on the rural landscape of Great Britain's enclosure movement was to
encourage a dispersed rural settlement pattern.
21) The most significant anticipated benefit of the enclosure movement was to
promote agricultural efficiency. .
23) The plantation was a common form of rural settlement in which region of colonial America?
24) The fall of the Roman Empire in the fifth century A. D. brought about what change in urban settlements?
reduction in urban population
The typical medieval European urban settlements were characterized by the
placement of buildings around a central market square.
33) According to the gravity model, the potential use of a service at a location is related
directly to population and inversely to distance.
36) If a country follows the rank-size rule, if the largest city has 1,000,000 inhabitants, how many people live in the fifth largest city?
37) If a country's largest city has 1,000,000 inhabitants and the second largest city has 200,000 inhabitants, the country follows what distribution?
38) Why is the absence of a rank-size distribution significant in a country like Romania?
Consumers do not all have access to goods and services.
40) A firm that sells its products primarily to consumers outside its settlement is a
1) Attracting a new basic industry is important to a community, primarily because it
stimulates new nonbasic industries. .
46) One of the most important basic activities in the southern Great Lakes region is
manufacturing of durable goods.
48) What factors determine where back office services will locate in LDCs?
low wage rates and workers who can speak English
49) What technical development has allowed back office services to relocate to LDCs?
4) Shops with high thresholds are likely to locate in the CBD. What other types of of retail activities are likely to locate there?
Shops with a high range and Shops appealing to office workers
55) According to the rank-size rule, if Romania's largest city (Bucharest) has nearly 2 million inhabitants, the second largest city (Iasi) should have 1,000,000 inhabitants. Because in reality Iasi has less than this number, then Bucharest is an example of what kind of city?
56) The British policy of combining many small farms into one large farm is known as
57) Countries that provide offshore financial services not located on islands are
Andorra and Liechtenstein;Monaco and Liberia;Belize and Panama
59) People who live in rural settlements are more likely to engage in secondary sector economic activities.
3) Copenhagen and London are primate cities even though they are located in more developed countries.
5) According to the rank-size rule, if the largest city in a country contains 1,000,000 inhabitants, the fifth largest city should contain 200,000 inhabitants.
66) The threshold of a service is the maximum distance that most of the customers are willing to travel.
68) Business services are more likely to cluster in specialized business-service centers than in world cities or regional command and control centers.
69) While public transportation ridership has declined in the United States, a number of cities have invested in new public transportation systems.
70) The supply of land for new housing is more severely restricted outside European cities than U.S. cities.
71) Public transportation is more successful in Europe, because entrepreneurs have figured out how to make a profit operating it.
72) In view of the rank-size distribution in Romania, why had the past President of Romania, Nicolae Ceaucescu, ordered the demolition of thousands of rural villages, each containing a few hundred inhabitants, and the construction of cities of 5,000 to 10,000 inhabitants?
enable rural residents to have access to goods and services
73) Developing countries are experiencing rapid urbanization, which involves two types of population increases. One is an increase in the ________ of people in a society living in urban areas. The other type of increase is an increase in the ________ of people in a society living in urban areas.
74) An increase in the percentage of people in a society living in urban areas is due to what factor? Distinct from such percentage increases, an increase in the number of people in a society living in urban areas is due to what factor?
migration from rural areas; overall population growth
75) Briefly define the economic base and state its significance to a settlement.
a collection of industries in a community that sells its products or services primarily to consumers outside the settlement; affects the types of jobs available to the population and the strength and stability of the economy
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together