Create an account
Contingency planning encompasses activities associated with development of OPLANs for deployment, employment, and sustainment of apportioned forces and resources in response to a hypothetical situation identified in joint strategic planning documents. This category of planning
relies heavily on assumptions regarding the circumstances that will exist when a crisis arises.
The JSCP links the JSPS to joint operation planning, identifies broad scenarios for
• When directed by the President or SecDef through the CJCS, CCDRs may convert
Level 1, 2, and 3 contingency plans into Level 4 OPLANs or into fully developed OPORDs for execution
• JOPP underpins planning at
at all levels and for missions across the full range of military operations
JOPP helps commanders and their staffs organize
organize their planning activities, share a common understanding of the mission and commander's intent, and develop effective plans and orders
• JOPP begins when an appropriate authority recognizes a potential for military capability to be employed in response to a potential or actual crisis.
• Military options normally are developed
in combination with other nonmilitary options so that the President can respond with all the appropriate instruments of national power.
• The joint force's mission is the task or set of tasks, together with the purpose, that clearly indicates the action to be taken and the reason for doing so.
• A primary consideration for a supported CCDR during mission analysis
the national strategic end state
COURSE OF ACTION DEVELOPMENT
• Consists of the following informatio
what type of military action will occur; why the action is required (purpose); who will take the action; when the action will begin; where the action will occur; how the action will occur (method of employment of forces).
• The staff should reject potential COAs that
that do not meet all five criteria: •Adequate, feasible, acceptable, distinguishable, complete
• Course of action comparison is an objective process whereby COAs are
considered independently of each other and evaluated/compared against a set of criteria that are established by the staff and commander. The goal is to identify and recommend the course of action that has the highest probability of success against the enemy course of action that is of the most concern to the commander.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together