5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Christ as a Restorer
- Augustus belief about evil
- a means God bearer
- b Recapitulation Theory
-Also called Theosis (meaning deification: which means to become like christ)
-The eastern church believed that Jesus came to complete our creation, they believed that he would have come even if humans after Adam did not sin.
-Anthanasius said, " God became human so that we could become more like God"
- c Latin for "to make clear"
- d -Believed that there is no such thing as evil because God created everything, so therefore everything is good.
-believed that just becasue things happen out of harmony/sync with something else does not make it evil
- e Emphasized the union of the human and divin parts of Jesus
5 Multiple choice questions
- In the eastern church, in line with the teaching of teh first council of Constantinople, the Holy Spirit is understood to proceed from the father through the son (single procession). Augustine, however, spoke of the Spirit as the mutual love of the Father and the Son in his tract De Trinitate. Based on this view the western church included filoque in the Nicene Constantinopolitan Creed.
- Jesus is consubstantial with the father and with us
-This teaching grew out of the formula for reunion.
- A wildly exagerated speech that praised or honored a person. Augustus did not care for them.
- becomes a "hearer" in a Gnostic sect called the Manichees/Manicheans (founded by Mani)
Was only a "catechumen", a person becoming a full fledge gnostic
-profoundly influenced by Ambrose, he baptized Augustin on Easter 387
- -Augustus' son
-birthed by Augustus' concubine
-loved very much by Augustus
-He died very young and his death damn near destroyed Augustus
-His name means, "Gift of God/ given by God"
5 True/False questions
Danni Farris → Person who made this great studyguide.
"Superstition of the mind" → Not recognizing God in Augustus life. Appreciating all of the gifts of the world, but not the giver (God). He also spoke of this when he talks about what he sacrifices to, he means giving himself to things of the world expecting them to fill him up and satisfy him.
"The Rule" → The Holy Spirit proceeds from the father, through the son
Docetists → Believed that when you die, you'd be free to go back into the metaphysical world as a perfectly happy soul.
Council of Ephesus → Attempted to resolve the issue between Nestorius and Cyril
cyril supporters showed up first and condemned Nestorius
then Nestorius supporters showed up and condemned Cyril
* Nestorius condemnation is the final resolution of the council.