5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Council of Constantinople (381) 2nd Ecumenical Council
- a One who brings forth Jesus (Mary)
- b Decided that the Holy Spirit is homoousios with God; Christians were now trinitarian.
- c Latin for "to make clear"
- d means human bearer
- e Is the conscious and active commitment to the well being of another.
-It is not an emotion
5 Multiple choice questions
- This formula settled the argument between Cyril and Nestorius
Said that Jesus Christ is one person, who has two natures which are unconfused in their union
- And that Mary is Theotikos (the source fo Jesus humanity)
-And that Jesus is homoousios with us humans and his humanity
- Attempted to resolve the issue between Nestorius and Cyril
cyril supporters showed up first and condemned Nestorius
then Nestorius supporters showed up and condemned Cyril
* Nestorius condemnation is the final resolution of the council.
- Paints Jesus as human (Catechetical school in Egypt)
- means God bearer
- Christ became human to teach us the truth, the true law, to teach us how to live, the "Law of Love"
5 True/False questions
Original Sin → As understood by Augustine, this is the stain with which all humans are infected by the way of the first sin. It's inheritance seems to be effected by concupiscence, a spontaneous desire that flairs up in our fallen humanity, beyond the control of our rationality.
Aurelius Augustinus → The Manichean Bishop, whose great talent was his "eloquent sppech" and the "smoothness of his language"
Augustus (Thagaste) → becomes a "hearer" in a Gnostic sect called the Manichees/Manicheans (founded by Mani)
Was only a "catechumen", a person becoming a full fledge gnostic
-profoundly influenced by Ambrose, he baptized Augustin on Easter 387
Christ as a Victim → Most popular theory in Western Christianity
The Body of Christ (Sacramental Answer) → Against the Donatists, Augustine argued that the validity of the sacraments is not dependent upon the holiness of the minister who administers them.