Campbell Biology; Tenth Edition; Chapter 9; Cellular Respiration and Fermentation
• Catabolic pathways yield energy by oxidizing organic fuels.
• Glycolysis harvests chemical energy by oxidizing glucose to pyruvate.
• After pyruvate is oxidized, the citric acid cycle completes the energy-yielding oxidation of organic molecules.
• During oxidative phosphorylation, chemiosmosis couples electron transport to ATP synthesis.
• Fermentation and anaerobic respiration enable cells to produce ATP without the use of oxygen.
• Glycolysis and the citric acid cycle connect to many other metabolic pathways.