5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What happened in clustered rural settlements when the population grew too large for the fields?
- What is a nodal region
- What creates a regular pattern of settlements?
- What is a central place?
- What is the central place theory and who proposed it?
- a A market center for the exchange of goods and services by people attracted from the surrounding area
- b Competition between central places
- c New settlements- called satellite settlements, were established nearby because not all land was under cultivation
- d explains how services are distributed and why a regular pattern of settlements exists (in MDCS)-proposed by Walter Christaller
- e A region with a core where the characteristic is most intense
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1. largest growth in professional services especially engineers because of demand 2. Growth in health care industry 3. Stable growth in retail 4. Slow growth in finance and transportation
- cultural bonds had weakened, descendants of original settlers grew less interested in the religious and cultural values.
- farmers living on individual farms isolated from neighbors rather alongside them
- Range and threshold
- Hexagon- doesn't cause gaps, and has closer related distances from center
5 True/False questions
What did European countries do to improve agricultural production? → converted their rural landscapes from clustered to dispersed with the enclosure movement (G.B)- consolidated individually owned strips of land into a single large farm owned by an individual
what do business services do and examples → a service that facilitates other businesses- FIRE (finance, insurance, real estate), professional management (lawyers, accounting, architecture, design) and transportation (trucking-semis and metra, broadcasting, electricity)
What do public services do and examples → Security and protection- gov, police, fire, public education
Why/who did public services begin with? → began in settlements with hunters and gatherers. Permanent settlement was made to store these goods and then the resources were traded
Where are services clustered → centers of military power