5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What is the best shape to use for market areas and why?
- What were New England colonies' clustered settlements like?
- Why did dispersed rural settlements become more popular?
- What are the three main types of services
- What were the disadvantages to dispersed settlements?
- a Hexagon- doesn't cause gaps, and has closer related distances from center
- b lost time moving between fields, had to build more roads to connect the small lots, and farmers had been restricted to what they could plant
- c -built on an open area called a common. -Clustered settlements favored by New Englanders for traveling in a group and to reinforce common cultural/religious values.
-Land was not sold, but awarded to an individual
- d They are considered more efficient
- e consumer, business, and public services
5 Multiple choice questions
- A market center for the exchange of goods and services by people attracted from the surrounding area
- the country's nth-largest settlement is 1/n the population of the largest settlement (the 2nd largest is 1/2 the size of the largest)
- Something that fulfills a want or need to return $ to those who provide it
- the area surrounding a service from which customers are attracted
- Circular or linear
5 True/False questions
What is the central place theory and who proposed it? → In the Great Plains- aren't heavily industrialized or interrupted by major physical features (rivers/mountains)
What were middle atlantic colonies' settlements like? → Since there was a wide variety of cultures, and most came as individuals dispersed settlements became popular.
What is the primate city rule → the country's nth-largest settlement is 1/n the population of the largest settlement (the 2nd largest is 1/2 the size of the largest)
What were the four employment changes (growths) in U.S? → consumer, business, and public services
Why/who did business services begin with? → began in settlements with hunters and gatherers. Permanent settlement was made to store these goods and then the resources were traded