5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Absolute age
- Angular Unconformity
- a Age in years of a rock or other objects that can be determined by using properties of the atoms that make up materials.
- b Volcano built by alternating explosive and quiet eruptions that produce layers of tephra and lava; fond mostly where earths plates come together and one plate sinks below the other.
- c An unconformity in which younger sediment or sedimentary rocks rest on the eroded surface of tilted or folded older rocks.
- d Vibrations producedwjen rocks break along a fault
- e States that in an undisturbed rock layers the oldest rocks are on the bottom and the rocks become progressively younger toward the top.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Geologist who developed the principle of Uniformitarianism, considered the father of modern geology.
- Thin film Of carbon residue preserved as a fossil.
- The amount of damage caused by an earthquake.
- Igneous rock feature formed when magma is squeezed into a vertical crack that cuts across rock layers and hardens underground.
- A type of body fossil that forms in rock when an organism with hard parts is buried, decays or dissolves and leaves a cavity int he rock
5 True/False questions
Index Fossil → Remains of species that existed on earth for a relatively short period of time, were abundant and widespread geography, and can be used geologists to assign the ages of rock layers.
Shield Volcanoe → Steep sided loosely packed volcano formed when tephra falls to the ground.
Cross-cutting relationship → Principle that states that which cats across is younger that what it cuts.
Sill → Igneous rock featured formed when magma is squeezed into a horizontal crack between layers layers of rock that hardens underground.
Focus → A type of body fossil that firms when crystals fill a mold or sediments wash into mold and harden into rock.