5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- tricyclic antidepressants
- why sleep?
- Randy Garner
- effects of sleep deprivation
- Muscle tone changes
- a They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
- b When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
- c rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
- d kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.
- e two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
- 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.
- sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
- formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
- 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
5 True/False questions
recuperation/circadian → Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
several biological clocks → because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______. → Zeitgabers.
after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves. → rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
5HTP → (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.