5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- reticular activating system
- how much sleep do you need?
- a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory.
- a the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
- b According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
- c activation synthesis
- d it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
- e thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
5 Multiple choice questions
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
- When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
- 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.
- kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.
5 True/False questions
tricyclic antidepressants → They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
zeitgebers cause sleep cycles? → early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
why sleep? → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves. → rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
dreaming occurs during ____ sleep. → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.