5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- REM deprivation studies show that
- environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______.
- how much sleep do you need?
- effects of sleep deprivation
- a Zeitgabers.
- b rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
- c REM sleep may be regulated separately from the amount of slow wave sleep (because it rebounded after being deprived) and that REM sleep may serve a special function.
- d when two different cycles (core body temperature, and sleep-wake cycles become desynchronized). This suggests that there are more than one circadian timing mechanism, and that sleep is not casually related to decreases in body temperature that normally correlates with it.
- e According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Delta waves. Slow waves
- no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
- kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.
- the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
5 True/False questions
several biological clocks → because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
melatonin → synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
Miss M → (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
default theory → the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
5 beliefs about dreaming → 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.