5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Muscle tone changes
- reticular activating system
- tricyclic antidepressants
- several biological clocks
- zeitgebers cause sleep cycles?
- a no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- b They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
- c thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
- d they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
- e When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
5 Multiple choice questions
- According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
- Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
5 True/False questions
micro-sleeps → two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
Cycle through stages → When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
REM deprivation studies show that → formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
iatrogenic → it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
Miss M → She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.