Upgrade to remove ads
Microbiology study guide
Terms in this set (23)
30. What is the glycocalyx?
The bacteria surface coating made of a layer of proteins and carbohydrates
31. What are the two types of glycocalyx?
capsule and slime layer
32. This is organized into a defined structure and attached firmly to the cell wall
33. This is disorganized, without any definite shape, and attached loosely to the wall
34. What are the functions of the glycocalyx?
adherence, protection against dehydration, reservoir of stored food, protection of pathogenic bacteria from being engulfed by white blood cells-->increases infection (example: biofilm on teeth from leftover food (full of carbs/sugar) due to poor oral hygiene
35. Is the glycocalyx external or internal to the cell wall?
36. The varieties and arrangements of bacteria can either be cocci or _______
37. If cocci occurs in pairs, we call them _______
38. Cocci that remain attached after dividing to form a chain
39. Cocci that remain in group of 4 in the shape of a square
40. Cocci that remain attached in cubical packets of 8 cells
41. Cocci that divide in an irregular pattern; and form grapelike clusters
42. Bacilli that are a pair of cells with their ends attached
43. A chain of bacilli is called ________
44. Bacilli that is combination of oval and rod shapes
45. Most bacteria are ________(only one shape), but may change in shape at some point
46. Some bacteria are ___________
(have many shapes)
47. What are examples of pleomorphic bacteria?
eg. Corynebacterium and mycoplasma
48. What are the three basic shapes of bacteria?
Coccus/cocci, bacillus/bacilli, and spirillum/spirilla
49. Spherical, round, or ovoid bacteria are ________
50. Cylindrical, rod-like bacteria are _________
51. Spiral, helical (corkscrew) bacteria are _______
52. A _______ stain is a stain used to identify different structures/shapes of bacteria. In staining, ____ create contrast by imparting a color to cells or cell parts.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Microbiology Exam 1
Biology Study Guide
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Chapter 21 test 2
econ ch 5 quiz
ch 64 quiz medsurg