Upgrade to remove ads
History unit 9
Terms in this set (25)
- Journalism that exaggerates the news to attract readers
- Hearst & Pulitzer published
A national policy of avoiding involvement in world affairs
Sinking of the Maine
- US Ship docked in Cuba that exploded
- pushed the US over the edge
- declared war against Spanish
pride in one's country
- 1898 war
- began when the U.S demanded Cuba's independence from Spain
- policy where a strong nation seeks to dominate other countries.
- Uprising in China aimed at ending foreign influence in the country.
Open Door Policy
- American statement
- gov. did not want colonies in China, but favored free trade there
Election of 1900
- William McKinley (republican) defeated Williams Bryan. (Democrat)
- The issue was imperialism.
Assassination of McKinley
-1901 in Buffalo, NY.
- Assassinated by Eastern European immigrant/anarchist
26th president, known for: conservationism, trust-busting, Hepburn Act, etc
Building Panama Canal
US needed a faster way to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific
- 1904 extension of the Monroe Doctrine
- War between Russia and Japan
- Japan wins and takes parts of Manchuria under its control.
Philosophy in support of social reform
Journalists who tried to find wrongdoing in industries and expose it to the public
- reporter who exposed illegal actions committed by the Standard Oil Company.
A secret ballot printed by the state.
Progressive Amendments (16-19)
- 16th- income tax
- 17th direct election of senators
- 18th- prohibition
- 19th- gave women right to vote
advocate for improving the lives of women and children
Triangle Shirtwaist Fire
- a factory fire that killed 146 workers trapped in the building
- led to new safety standard laws
a fair bargain or treatment.
- Upton Sinclair's novel
- inspired pro-consumer federal laws regulating meat, food, and drugs
William Howard Taft
- 27th president of the U.S.
- angered progressives by moving cautiously toward reforms
Standard Oil Trust
- small oil companies sold stock and authority to Rockefeller's Standard Oil Company
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 29 & 30 Test
Alg unit 3 test