5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Selective Training and service Act
- Manhattan Project
- Axis Powers
- a First peacetime military draft, 16 million men (21-35) were registered, 1 million drafted for one year- only to serve in the western hemishpere.
- b code name for the secret United States project set up in 1942 to develop atomic bombs for use in World War II
- c in World War II, the nations of Germany, Italy, and Japan, which had formed an alliance in 1936.
- d United States, Great Britain and the Soviet Union (Big 3)
- e City in Japan, the first to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, on August 6, 1945. The bombing hastened the end of World War II.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Satisfying the demands of dissatisfied powers in an effort to maintain peace and stability.
- "Victory over Japan day" is the celebration of the Surrender of Japan, September 2, 1945
- 33rd U.S. President. Took office after FDR's death. Made the decision to use the atomic bomb.
- a 1942-1943 battle of World War II, in which German forces were defeated in their attempt to capture the city of Stalingrad in the Soviet Union thanks to harsh winter -turning point of war in Eastern Europe
- United States general who unleashed a massive air and land bombardment in the Allied victory in World War II (1893-1981)
5 True/False questions
Doolittle's Raid → bombing of Tokyo and other Japanese cities; following the attack on Pearl. Raised American morale
Pearl Harbor → American General who led the Third Army to liberate Paris
Iwo Jima → a bloody and prolonged operation on the island of Iwo Jima in which American marines landed and defeated Japanese defenders
Battle of the Bulge → December, 1944-January, 1945 - After recapturing France, the Allied advance became stalled along the German border. In the winter of 1944, Germany staged a massive counterattack in Belgium and Luxembourg which pushed a 30 mile "bulge" into the Allied lines. The Allies stopped the German advance and threw them back across the Rhine with heavy losses.
War Production Board → Agreement between Germany and Russia not to fight each other. Led to the invasion of Poland.