5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- narration tradition
- cool colors (blues or grays)
- Lobel, Arnold
- Concrete Poetry (also known as shaped verse or pattern poetry):
- a explicit or dictionary meaning of a word
- b communicate calmness
- c Frog and Toad Together (1972).
- d the arrangement of the words on the page is in a shape or pattern that reflects the content in some way. (Livingston, "Whispers")
- e pictures want to tell the story either with verbal text or on their own
5 Multiple choice questions
- Becoming Naomi León.
- large- power, dominance
small- weakness, submissiveness
- Descriptions, comments, occurrences in a literary work that prepare the reader for occurrences later in the work. The warning at the start of a story often foreshadows events that occur later.
- may signal or support and important change in story
5 True/False questions
Jacobs, Joseph → "Pied Piper of Franchville"
character direction → at top of page- dominant, powerful, happy
at bottom- dominated, powerless, sad
middle- center of attention? (alone, or isoated? surrounded by friends and happy?)
romantic tradition → presents child's voice and/or perspective and/or focuses on nature and its wonders
Free Verse → has no formal rules or set rhythm or rhyme (Eve Merriam "Bam, Bam, Bam" and Langston Hughes, "I, Too, Am America")
Lyric poem → tells a story.