How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Mechanism of Skeletal Muscle Contraction
- A nerve impulse strikes a muscle fiber.
- This causes calcium ions to flood the sarcomere.
- Calcium ions allow ATP to expend energy.
- The myosin fibers creep along the actin, causing the muscle to contract.
- Once the nerve impulse has passed, calcium is pumped out and the contraction ends.