Upgrade to remove ads
Fundamentals Teaching/Learning Theory
Terms in this set (19)
1) State the benefits of the teaching plan for the patient
Patient can take part in own care, prepares them for emergencies at home, prepare for lifestyle changes, clear up misconceptions
2) Discuss the difference between "Needs to know" and "nice to know"
Needs to Know: med admin, how to manage dressings, limitations, dietary restrictions...
Nice to Know: what meds are and what they do, how they work, relationship between cardiovascular and diet
3) State the key factor in readiness
4) Discuss the nurse role in patient "readiness"
Get pt motivated and ready for information, prevent distractions or anything that could hinder them from a teaching moment
5) Identify Physiological Barriers that interfere with the pt's ability to learn
1) Sensory deficits
2) Pain, fatigue--impair readiness and ability to learn; postpone teaching
5) Identify Psychological Barriers that interfere with the pt's ability to learn
1) High anxiety
2) No concerns or signs of anxiety
3) Levels of anxiety
6) Define what is mean by the "the work of worry"
For people who are not anxious (even a little bit) , they need to be or they won't take everything serious enough. Bring them up to the point of being a little anxious because that is healthy
7) State the relationship between the pt's educational level and the ability to learn
The level of education dictates what the pt is capable of learning and how they are going to learn
8) Identify cultural and socioeconomic barriers to learning
1) Language barriers
2) Cultural beliefs and practices (folk medical practices, avoid stereotyping)
9) Compare hospital and home environments to the effect on learning
Hospital Environment-Not always conducive to learning
Home Environment-Too many distraction
10) Identify the appropriate nursing diagnosis label for a patient with definite learning needs; what must be specified to make the diagnosis complete
1) Verbalizes a deficiency in knowledge or skill; requests information
2) Expresses inaccurate perception of health status
3) Does not perform a desired or prescribed health behavior
11) State common etiologies of knowledge deficit problems
-Lack of motivation
-Lack of readiness
-Lack of exposure to accurate information
-Interfering coping strategies (anxiety, denial)
12) State the two words what the goal must have to be relevant to the patient
13) Identify 3 main ideas that should be addressed in the pt outcomes
1) Patient will show readiness shown by...
2) The patient will be knowledgeable regarding______ shown by....
3) The patient will be aware of complication that require calling his doctor shown by...the patient will be aware of lifestyle modifications show by...
14) Cognitive Domain of Learning
1) Taught by discussion wit written materials
2) Audiovisual aids
3) Passive learning
14) Psychomotor Domain of Learning
1) Demonstration, practice, discussion, reinforcement
2) Active learning
15) Recognize main ideas for presenting teaching content
Pg 132 :-)
16) Discuss ways to increase retention of information
Pg 132 :-)
17) State as what point the nurse knows that learning has occured on the part of the patient
Nursing interventions were effective if pt outcomes were achieved
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Fundamentals Nursing Process
Fundamentals Infection Control
Fundamentals Sleep and Rest
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
T4: Patient Education (wk10, chap25)
Ch 25: Patient Education
Teaching and learning - NCLEX
FoN Ch 25
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Spanish Quiz 3