Create an account
5. when a nerve fiber is polarized the concentration of
(d)sodium is higher on the outside of the membrane and potassium ions is higher on the inside
6. during an action potential, repolarization occurs as a result of
(a)potassium ions diffusing to the outside of the cell membranes
7. when a neuron becomes more excitable as a result of incomming subthreshold stimulation, it is said to be
8. which of the following lists the parts of a reflex in the correct sequence?
(d)receptor sensory neurons interneuron motor neuron effector
11. the part of the brain that functions to coordinate voluntary muscle movements is the
13. the complex network of tiny islands of gray matter within the brain that activates the cerebral cortex to a state of wakefulness is the
25. a myelinated nerve fiber is ________ whereas an unmyelinated nerve fiber is _________
(c). white, and composing the white matter of the brain and spinal cord; gray, and composing of the gray matter of the brain and spinal cord
27. a reason that the CNS ans PNS differ in their ability to regenerate after injury is that
(a) axons of the CNS lack myelin
29. in order for a severed peripheral nerve to regenerate and recover its original function, nerve fibers must sprout and enter tubes formed by
( c) myelin
33. when an action potential passes over the surface of a synaptic knob, the contents of the vescicles are released in responce to the presence of
(b) sodium ions
34. a stimulus great enough to change the membrane potential and propagate an action potential is said to have reached
35. when a nerve fiber is polarized the concentration of
(d) NA+ is higher on the outside of the membrane and K+ is higher on the inside
42. in reuptake
(c) neurotransmitters that has already been released into the synaptic cleft is taken back into the synaptic knob of the presubnaptic neuron or nearby neuroglia or neurons
43. convergence refers to
(b) axons from nuerons in different parts of the nervous system contacting the same neuron
45. the neurotransmitter most likely produced when a person uses a drug that creates a sense of well-being is
52. cerebrospinal fluid is produced by _______ and it ________
(a) dura matter; maintains a stable ionic concentration in the CNS
60. if the area of the cerebral hemisphere corresponding to Broca's area is damages
(d) motor control of the muscles associated with speech is lost
64. if the general interpretative area of the dominate hemisphere is damaged in a child the
(d) child will have difficulty concentrating
65. which of the following terms and definitions is correct
(a) cerebral cortex a thin layer of gray matter forming the outermost part of the cerebrum
66. the consequence of sensory nerve fibers crossing over is that the
(b) right hemisphere of the cerebrum
67. basal ganglia are located in the _______ and _____
(d) cerebral hemisphere; aid in coordination of equilibrium motor activities
68. the somatic nervous system consists of nerve fibers that connect the CNS to the _____, where as the autonomic nervous system consists of fibers that connect the _______
(d) skin and skeletal muscles; CNS to the visceral organs
72. max returns to his dorm room late at night to find his roommate throwing up ..................... the odor seems to fade. Max has experienced
(b) sensory adaptation
80. referred pain occurs when the brain projects the sensations back to the original source in the body from which the pain originated
83. a hormone is a _______ and the target cell is _______
(c) molecule that has a metabolic effect on another cell; a cell that has receptors for specific hormones
85. exocrine glands differ from endocrine glands in that exocrine glands
(c) secrete through ducts or tubes to the body's exterior
88. the specificity of hormone action derives from
(a ) target cell receptors that are unique fro the hormone type
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together