Create an account
post. cranial fossa
large depression made up mostly of the occipital bone ; deepest and largest of the3 fossa
1) lies horozonally 2) its perforated 3) holes/ openings passageway for olafactory nervers from the nose to the brian
1) pair of openings ant. to to the sella turcica 2) serves as an entrence/ exit to optic canal (3) optic nerve- passes thro these openings
superior orbital fissure
(1) jagged opening loc. under ant. clinoid process (2) passageway for a set of cranial nerves and blood vessels
(1) deep depression on the midline of the middle fossa (2) on post. portion of sphenoid bone (3) contain pituitary gland
(1) arched opening post. of the sup. orbital fissure (2) passageway for a maxillary branch of cranial nerves ( trigeminal nerves)
(a) most post portion (b) loc. below petrous port (c) mastoid foramen (d) mastoid process
(fossa) on the internal surf. but a proc on the external surf appers as a depression
cavities which lighten the skull w/o weakening it; all of the sinuses have passageways leading to the nasal and oral cavities; there are 4 sets of paranasal sinuses
4 sets of paranasal sinuses
frontal sinuses ; maxillary sinuses ; sph. sinuses ; ethmoid sinuses/ air cells
largest sinuses , on each side of the nose and below the eyes; AKA antrums of highmore
mandibular condyle (sdm)
rounded process on the post/ sup portion of each ram; articulates w/the mandibular fossa on the temporal bone
oblique line (sdm)
a raised ridge of bone that extends from the rami down to the body on the external surf of the mandible
mylonyoid line (sdm)
a raised ridge of bone that extends from the rami down to the body on the internal surf of the mandible
alveolar process (sdm)
the raised portion of the mandible along the body that contains the teeth (gums)
soft spots (a) un-ossified membranous areas of the fetal skull (b) undicated by a jagged line(c) eventually becomes a fused joint or suture
allow the cranial bones to overlap during a normal vaginal delivery; ossification of a childs skull is complete around the age of 2; 6 total
diamond shaped; most ant on the midline; at the junction of the frontal and parietal bones
diamond shaped but smaller than ant fontanel; lies on te midline at the junction of teh parietal and occipital bones
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together