Scheduled maintenance: Saturday, March 6 from 3–4 PM PST
Upgrade to remove ads
SET 5 CHAPTERS 16-17
Terms in this set (91)
1. The reference point that signals a change from flat to round or vice versa in the head shape is the....
c. four corners
8 For a client with a long face, the stylist would recommend a style that adds
fullness on the sides
The straight lines used to build weight and create one- length and low-elevation haircuts are
b. horizontal lines
The angle at which the fingers are held when cutting the line that creates the end shape is the
cutting lines Also known as cutting position cutting angle finger angle and finger position
Which guideline is used when creating layers or a graduated haircut?
9. A stylist will need to use less elevation on curly hair than on straighter textures, or leave the hair a bit longer because of
Which type of comb is used for close tapers on the nape and sides when using the scissors-over-comb technique?
The technique used to free up the cutting hand to cut a subsection is called
transferring the comb
When cutting a(n) ............it is customary to use a horizontal cutting line and cut below your fingers or on the insides of your knuckles.
blunt haircut or a heavier graduated haircut
18. If using the wide teeth of the comb while cutting a blunt haircut, always comb the section first with the fine teeth, then......
turn the comb around and re-comb with the wide teeth
19. It is important to work with .............where and how hair is moved over the head, when locating the bang area.
b. the natural distribution
What is the natural distribution of hair?
Where and how the hair is moved over the head
The process of thinning the hair to graduated lengths usin a sliding movement of the shears with the blades kept partially open is called
25. If the blade tension on your shears is too tight, it will cause the shears to bind and cause unnecessary wear and
a. user fatigue
28. A guideline located at the outer line of the cut is known as the
30. You should use "............tension on straight hair
Using a razor on ......hair will weaken the cuticle and cause frizzing.
33. The client's hair should be ......before consultation.
uncleansed and unstyled
34. A quick way to analyze a face shape is to determine if it is
c. wide or long
40. Your shears should be cleaned and lubricated....
a. after every client
42. Knowing how to hold your tools properly will help you avoid muscle strain in your
45. Heavier graduated haircuts work well on hair that tends to ........when dry.
When trimming a male client's facial hair, it is recommended that you check ........and ask if he would like you to remove any excess hair.
c. his ears and eyebrows
59. The space between two lines or surfaces that intersect at a given point is a
a. an angle
What type of shear blade edge gives the smoothest cut and has the sharpest edge possible?
C. A full convex edge
66. Which type of texture shears is the best for adding increased blending?
b. Texturizing shear
5 to9 teeth Great for taking out big sections
Adds increased blending
26 to 30 teeth most universally used for a reduction of bulk the closer the teeth the more blended the cup
38 to 50 teeth great for scissor over comb cutting
How many teeth and a texturizing shears
14 to 19 teeth
.......is the key to avoiding long-term repetitive motion injuries and other musculoskeletal disorders.
69. Which haircut is cut at 90-degree elevation and then overdirected to maintain length and weight at the perimeter?
b. The long-layered haircut
71. When cưutting a layered haircut on a client with hair past the shoulder blades, which technique is used to connect the top sections to the lengths?
c. Slide cutting
12. Which cutting tool should generally be avoided when cutting curly hair?
73. When using the haircut cross-checked? scissor-over-comb technique, how is the
c. By working across the area diagonally
74. Which haircut represents cutting the hair very short and close to the hairline and then gradually getting longer as you move up the head?
75. What is the process called when the hair contracts or lifts through the action of moisture loss/drying?
4. The stationary foundation of a pin curl is the
Pin curls that produce tight, firm, long-lasting curls and allow for minimum mobility are known as
d. no-stem pin curls
Pin curls formed in a shaping should begin at the
a. open end
What is a shaping?
Hey section of hair molded in a circular movement in preparation for the formation of a color
What Curl permits medium movement
I half stem craw
Which Carl allows for the greatest mobility?
A full stem Curl
Open versus closed center across
Open Center curl Produces even smell the waves in uniform Carl's
Closed center curl Produces waves that gets smaller for the ends
7. The most commonly shaped pin curl bases are rectangular, triangular, square, or...
b. arc based Half moon or C shaped
8. Pin curls sliced from a shaping and formed without liftin the hair from the head are referred to as
c. carved curls Or sculpture curls
Pin curls placed immediately behind or below average to form a wave
Two rolls of ridge curls usually on the side of the head
Have a large center opening and are fastened to the head in a standing position on a rectangular base
9. The panel of hair on which a roller is placed is the
11. The point where curls of opposite directions meet, forming a recessed area is called the
12. To smooth hair that is backcombed, hold the teeth of a comb or the bristles of a brush at a ........pointing away from you, and lightly move the comb over the surface of the hair.
b. 45-degree angle
14. A benefit of using ..........is that they offer firmer, longer hold for fine hair with the least amount of heaviness.
c. texturizers Also known as liquid gel, are similar to firm hold gel's but lighter inform
15. Which of these styling aids is applied to damp hair (ranging a smooth, straight look that from wavy to extremely curly) and then blown dry to create provides the most hold in dry outdoor conditions?
b. Straightening gel
One way to remove dirt, oils, and product residue from a thermal iron is to use a dampened towel or rag and wipe down the barrel of the iron with a soapy solution containing a few drops of
18. Applying a thermal pressing comb twice on each side of the hair to remove curl is a
a. hard press
A medium Press
Remove 60 to 75% of the Carl by applying thermal pressing comb once on each side of the hair using slightly more pressure
A soft press
Remove 50 to 60% of the cross
A hard press can be done by first passing a hot thermal iron through the hair this is called a
24. The French Pleat is an elegant, sleek look that can be worn for any occasion, but clients are most likely to request it for
d. a formal function
25. How long do VelcroTM rollers need to stay in the hair?
a. 5 to 10 minutes
26. Hair wrapping can be done
d. on wet or dry hair
27. The technique of drying and styling damp hair in one operation is called
b. blowdry styling
31. What is the best way to practice manipulative techniques with thermal irons?
a. Rolling the cold iron in your hand, first forward and then backward
32. A modern thermal iron and ........are all you need to give your client curls.
c. a hard rubber comb
33. End curls can be used to give a finished appearance to
b. hair ends
37. When tempering a new pressing comb, you should
a. heat the comb until it is extremely hot b.
38. Which of the following is usually recommended qt the side front hairline for a smooth, upswept effect?
b. Rectangular base pin curls
39. Which type of curl is usually recommended along the front or facial hairline to prevent breaks or splits in the finished hairstyle?
C. Triangular base pin curl
Also known as stand up curls are used to create height and a hair design
Base stand and curl
Bass is the panel of hair on which the roller is placed
Stem is the hair between the scalp and the first turn of the roller
Carl also known as circle is the hair wrapped around the roller
40. Which type of curl is suitable for curly hairstyles without much volume and lift, can be used on any part of the head and will comb out with lasting results?
d. Square base pin curl
41. Where are skip waves usually found?
a. The side of the head
42. Pin curls placed immediately behind or below a ridge to form a wave are called
d. ridge curls
43. Which type of curls are also known as stand-up curls?
b. Cascade curls
44. Which type of curls have large center openings and are fastened to the head in a standing position on a rectangular base?
c. Barrel curls
47. Which of these is used to build a soft cushion or to mesh two or more curl patterns together for a uniform and smooth comb out?
A ....... is a half-round, rubber-based brush.
c. classic styling brush
54. Arc base pin curls are also known as
c. half-moon curls
56. How many times do you turn the roller to create a C-shape curl?
How many times do you turn your roller to create a wave?
1 1/2 turns to create a wavo
How manyRoller turns to create a curl?
2 1/2 turns to create a curl
57. VelcroTM rollers can be used
b. only on dry hair
58. A section of hair that is molded in a circular movement in preparation for the formation of curls is called
61. In thermal curling, the hair is held at a 70-degree angle for
For thermal crawling to get a half faced Crow use a___angle
For thermal curling it was what angle to get a full base curl?
62. With a stove-heated pressing comb, remove the carbon by rubbing the outside surface and between the teeth with fine sandpaper or
d. a fine steel-wool pad
63. What is recommended to help repair and moisturize the hair and scalp that has been pressed?
perfumed pressing c. A conditioning treatment mask
65. The foundation technique used for the classic bun or the chignon is the
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
SET 10 today's last minute stuff
SET 1: CHAPTERS 1-6
SET 2: CHAPT 7-10
MILADY FINAL EXAM CHAPTERS 12-13
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
17 / REVIEW: Hairstyling
Milady chpt. 17
Chapter 17: Hairstyling
Milady's Standard Cosmetology Chapter 17: Hairstyl…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
SET 3 chapters 12-13
SET 9: 26-32
SET 8 chapters 22-25
SET 7 CHAPTERS 20-21
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
AP Latin Week 3.9
Spanish Vocabulary - Barron's 501 Spanish Verbs, A…