Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (23)
5 advantages of Artificial Insemination?
1. can use older males on lightweight females
2. decrease the number of males/time required when estrus synchronized
3. promotes development of closed herd
4. Introduction of new genetic material without risks
5.you know semen is alive because you can examine
4 disadvantages of Artificial Insemination?
1. higher level of management to work correctly
2. Greater risk of disease
3. increased margin of error--human factor
4. cutting corners=decrese in reproductive performance
When should semen collection begin for each species?
Bulls: 12 months
Rams/goats/boars: 7-8 months
Stallions: 24 months
What are 3 ways to collect semen?
1. teaser female
2. another male/castrated male
3. trained to dummies
General collection schedule for bull?
3 x per week--twice/day (8-16 billion/ejaculation)
-collected in artificial vagina
-place probe into rectum--nerves supplying repro tract are electrically stimulated. Voltage increased with repeated rhytmic stimulation pulses
What should be done to boar before mounting?
prepuce should be emptied (squeezed out)
Why does the boar need gauze over top of semen collection container?
filters out the gel fraction of the semen
What specied require a filter in AV?
Prior to collection of stallion, what needs to be done?
penis of stallion needs to be washed and dried
What two methods of collection can be done with ram?
AV or EE
What is problem with EE collection in ram?
-variable in sperm concentration and volume
-can contaminate with urine-stressful on ram
In the ram, why is the AV warmed prior to collection?
to avoid cold shock
First three steps of cattle insemination?
1. wipe off fecal matter from vulva
2. hold inseminating gun @ 30 degree angle-to avoid suburethral diverticulum
3. Push gun forward along roof of vagina and cervix is pushed forward to straighten out vaginal folds
Steps 4-6 of cattle insemination?
4. work gun throu cervix with gloved hand until uterine body(forefinger indicates)
5. SLOWLY deposit sement by pressing plugner (5sec)
6. Inspect tip of gun for blood or infection signs
Why should female sow be exposed to boar before insemination?
stimulates her to have contractions
Golden pig catheter vs. spirette/threaded
1. Golden pig: push into cervix until it "pops in"
2. spirette/threaded: turn it counter clockwise to enter cervix--will flip back when twisted counterclockwise when its locked in.
pig vs. horse insemination
1semen syringe in mare needs to be sterile, not just clean.
volume of 5-20 ml (horse) vs. 85-100 ml pigs
When is the best time to inseminate mares?
12-24 h prior to ovulation.
What are the 4 methods of AI for the ewe:
vaginal AI, cervical AI, trascervical AI and laprascopic/intrauterin AI(most popular)
how can ewes be synchronized
naturally-teaser ram "ram effect"; but must be completely isolated from the ram 2 months before this introduction.
progestagens; p4 or CIDR
pgf2-alpha--2 injections 10-14 days apart
What happens when progestagen is in place--once it is removed?
CL will regress, when removed eCG (PMSG) is given to stimulate follicle growth.
What is PG600 used for in sheep
it is eCG (follicle growth) & hCG (causes ovulation): it has longer 1/2 life that FSH/LH
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Postpartum/Postpartum high risk, newborn/newborn h…
TAMU ANSC 433 Lab BSE and Semen Collection
ANSC 433 Breeding Soundness Exam
Blood bank deferral