Create an account
Are respiratory increases a sign of fluid deficit or fluid overload?
fluid deficit or fluid volume overload
Is poor skin turgor and skin that is cool and moise a sign of fluid deficit or fluid overload?
Are dry eye sockets, mouth, and mucuse membranes a sign of fluid deficit or fluid overload?
What are lab value changes in fluid deficit?
- increased hemoglobin and hemocrit
- increased Na serum osmulality
- increased BUN
Are headache, lethargy, confusion, and disorientation a sign of fluid deficit or fluid overload?
Are shortness of breath, dyspnea, and rales a sign of fluid volume deficit or overload?
What are lab value changes in fluid volume overload?
- decreased hematrocrit and HGB
- decreased BUN, Na+
- decreased serum osmolity
What are potential causes of fluid volume deficit?
- isotonic loss
- GI suction
- decreased intake
- third spacing
What are potential causes of fluid volume overload?
- isotonic gain, increased in interstitial compartment, intravascular compartment or both
- renal failure
- cirrhosis of the liver
- excessive ingestion of sodium
- excessive or too rapid intravenous infusion
What are nursing interventions for fluid volume deficit?
- force fluids
- provide isotonic IV fluids (LR, .9%)
- I and O, hourly outputs
- daily weights (1 L = 1 kg)
- check skin turgor
- assess urine specific gravity
What are isotonic fluids?
- lactated Ringer's
- .9% NaCl
- Ringer's Solution
- 5% dextrose in water*
What are nursing interventions for fluid volume excess?
- administer diuretics
- restrict fluids
- sodium-restricted diet (6-15 g Na)
- daily weights
- assess breath sounds
- check feet/ankle/sacral region for edema
- Semi-Fowler's position if dyspneic
What are potential complications of CVP measuring?
- air embolism
- infection at insertion site
What is nursing managment for a CVP measurment?
- dry, sterile dressing
- change dressing, IV fluid bag, manometer, and tubing every 24 hours
- instruct pt to hold breath when tubing changed to prevent air embolism
- check and secure all connections
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together