Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
AP Human Geo Ch 4
Terms in this set (27)
What are the negative environmental impacts of pop culture?
1. Increased demand for natural resources
Why Does Globalization of Popular Culture Cause Problems?
1. threat to folk culture-loss of traditional values, change in role of women
2. threat of foreign media imperialism-attractive themes may conflict or drive out traditional folk culture
2 reasons why TV is an especially significant element of culture
1. most popular leisure activity
2. most important means by which culture is diffused
4 important facts about jeans as an example of pop culture
1. becomes symbol of US youth independence
2. becomes status symbol to soviets and other countries
3. scarcity contributed to decline of communism
4. as Levi's become available worldwide, demand in US decreases
5 Modern house styles:
1. minimal traditional
3. split level
4 neo-eclectic styles:
4 New England styles:
3. cape cod
4. front gable and wing
Mid-Atlantic house style is
one story with steep roof and two chimeys; tidewater, built on raised piers
Food taboos include:
religious values, trying to protect environment, socially acceptable or not
food attractions based on
availability and environment
Local culture is sustained through ______
How do things become a part of pop culture?
often begins with contagious diffusion
How is pop culture diffused?
contagious diffusion and ; hierarchical diffusion uses distance decay
large, typically urban, incorporates different populations and is practiced by people all across the world
small, typically rural, typically isolated group of people all of same population
Folk culture thrives in ____ and is destroyed by _____
Folk culture varies __ to __ while pop culture varies __ to ___
place to place
time to time
Folk culture is driven by _____, while pop culture is driven by ____
environmental determinism, possibilism
Pop culture gets their influence from ___ , while folk culture is influenced by ____
Folk culture spreads by
How are building materials of folk housing unique?
1. utilize local materials because folk culture is environmentally determined
2. design shows influence of culture and climate
4 important facts about wine production
1. shows how environment plays part in production
2. needs to be place with hot summer, hillside or elevation, and nearby water
3. wine= identified by region of origin
4. wine distribution is based on cultural values more than environment
5 facts about clothing styles associated with pop culture
1. income dictates clothing
2. broad communication increases spread of trends
3. technology reduces "lag time"
4. people in MDCs are more aware of Folk clothing
5. Folk clothing used to tie to heritage
Where is internet most widely available?
US, Japan, Australia UK, West Europe
Difference between Western Hemisphere and Elsewhere TV control?
West hemisphere: private corps control most stations. Government issues licenses to broadcast channels
Elsewhere: government controls TV, censors some things
Indian bride's family expected to pay dowry to groom's family. if they fail to do so they have the groom's family can cast the bride out on the street and her family may refuse to take her back
Sets found in the same folder
AP Human Geography Chapter 13: Test Review
AP Human Geography Chapter 2
Chapter 11: Key Issue 2
APHG 10 Test
Sets with similar terms
A.P. Human Geography - Folk & Pop Culture
APHG Chapter 4
Other sets by this creator
cvrh exam 2
embryological origins ~ cvrh
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 9 (Comm Final Exam)
COMM475 Exam #1 Study Guide
Exam 2 Chapters 6-10
Pop Culture exam
Who are the DMs in your region?
Biff has been most recently employed as a?
What did they have for breakfast?
What is the definition of an alumnae of Sigma Phi Lambda?