Create an account
What are the sources of Luke?
- Mark and Matthew
- Q source
- special traditions
-L source (unique source)
What are some literary devices that Luke used?
- Fulfillment citations
- Miracle stories
What are the four types of miracles?
- physical healing
- power over nature
- restoration of life
What are the themes of Luke?
- merciful, compassionate, forgiving Jesus
- Role of the Holy Spirit
- Importance of Prayer
- Jesus' concern for women (he treats women equally)
- The need for repentence
What is the Gospel of Luke about?
it is about the biblical history of God's dealings with humanity which shows that God's promises have been fulfilled in Jesus and extended to all
What is Luke's Gospel?
It is a salvation history--God's divine plan for human salvation accomplished through Jesus
What does Luke shift away from?
shifts from an immenent expectation of "parousia" to a "be prepared it will happen, but not as soon as we thought"
What does Luke argue?
- that christianity is the logical developement and proper fulfillment of Judaism and should be tolerated by Rome
-Chrisitianity is capable of meeting the spiritual needs of an empire like Rome
What stories show loss and forgiveness in Luke?
- The Parable of the Lost Sheep
- The Parable of the Lost Coin
- The Parable of the Prodigal Son
What are some of the literary devices used in John?
- high christology (the highest)
- 7 signs
- "I am statements"
What are some examples of an "I am statement"?
- "I am the bread of life"
- "I am the good shepherd"
- "I am the way, the truth, the life"
- "I am the light"
- "I am the living bread"/ "I am the bread of life"
- "I am the vine and you are the branches"
- "I am the gate"
What are the sources of the Gospel of John?
- synoptic gospels
- Q source
- unique sources (had a lot of unique materials)
What are the themes in John?
Jesus as the preexistent and incarnate Word of God who has revealed the father to us
What are the 7 signs of John?
- The Wedding Feast at Cana
- The cure of the royal official's son
- Cure of the paralytic at the pool with five porticoes
- multiplication of loaves
- walking on the waters of Galilea
- Sign of the young man born blind
- The raising of Lazarus
What is John's Gospel?
it is a progressive revelation of the glory of God's only son, who comes to reveal the father and returns in glory to the father
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together