Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
NM History Ch 6
The Pueblo Revolt
Terms in this set (26)
Married to one person
What was good about the Spanish rule of the Indians?
1. They were taught the Christian faith
2. They were taught through plays, art, and music, as well as through stories
3. The churches copied the Pueblo homes in structure
4. They were taught how to weave, blacksmith, use new tools, and grow new crops
5. They were encouraged to be part of the church service
What was bad about the Spanish rule of the Indians?
1. They were forced to become Christians
2. If they followed their traditions, sometimes they were whipped or put in stocks
3. They were forced to dress like the Spanish
4. Men built the churches (when it was considered to be a woman's job)
5. They were forced to work for the Spanish
Why did the Pueblo people get confused about who to obey?
The Spanish church and civil leaders argued with each other
The church headquarters was in what town?
The head of the church government was called
The civil government's headquarters was in what town?
The head of the civil government was called
What were the Pueblo governors given by the Spanish as a symbol of their authority?
What is tribute?
A "tax" paid by the Pueblos for the protection provided by the soldiers.
What did the Pueblo people usually pay as tribute?
Usually they gave one blanket and one bushel of corn every year.
Be able to describe the conflict between Fray Isidro and Governor Peralta
Study pgs. 124-125 in your book
Name three problems that made life worse for the Indians and Spanish in New Mexico
1. Many died from disease
2. Many died from drought and starvation
3. Many died from Navajo and Apache raids
What happened that made the Pueblo more interested in revolting?
The church and civil governments began working together against the Indians.
They whipped some of the Indians, and hung some others for practicing their traditional religion
How did Pope` communicate the date of the revolt to the Pueblos?
He gave them a strand of yucca cord with knots tied in it. Every day the Pueblo would untie a knot. On the day that all the knots were gone, the Pueblo were to revolt
On what date did the Pueblo revolt begin?
August 9, 1680
At what pueblo did the revolt begin?
Settlers from what region suffered the most?
Settlers from what region were able to get away?
What pueblo did not join the revolt but gave refuge to 1000 settlers?
What was the name of the Lieutenant Governor who led the refugees from Rio Abajo?
What was the name of the Governor who defended Santa Fe
Antonio de Otermin
The fact that the settlers of Rio Abajo fled meant that the settlers in Santa Fe would have no hope of getting ________ nor _________
more soldiers nor more supplies
What is the name of one of the pueblos that traveled south with the Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt?
One of the new pueblos they formed is called Isleta del Sur
What did Pope`do to try to erase all traces of Spanish rule?
1. He outlawed speaking in Spanish
2. He ordered the Indians to not plant Spanish crops
3. He burned the churches and opened the kivas
4. He had the people bathe in yucca soap to "undo" their baptism
5. The Pueblos could not act like the Spanish
Did the Pueblo unity last?
No. Pope` became very controlling. People stopped following him.
Students also viewed
BJU Life Science, Chapter 9, 4th Edition
BJU Life Science 4th edition Chapter 10
BJU Life Science 4th edition Chapter 12
Animals in Spanish (Intro to Spanish)
Other sets by this creator
MVCS World History Cold War
MVCS World History 16 "Attempts at Liberty" 2022
MVCS New Mexico History 9
MVCS Geography Chapter 4 Man's Use of God's Resour…
history of europe
How was Soviet policy in Eastern Europe similar to and different from European imperialism in Africa and Asia?
history of the americas
Use the cartoon to answer the following questions. President Johnson's budget is the subject of this 1965 political cartoon. According to the cartoon, what is Johnson trying to do?
Why did the United States and the Soviet Union become political rivals after World War II?
history of the americas
What do you think motivated sailors to sign on for voyages of exploration?
Other Quizlet sets
unit 5 nomenclature
PDBio 382 Developmental Biology, Suli Wi…