Upgrade to remove ads
Module 1: Respiratory care and First aid and CPR
Terms in this set (20)
turn, cough, deep breathe
TCDB helps prevent...
Patients should cough and take deep breaths every ___ to ___ hours while away
If coughing is painful...
encourage patients to splint incisional area by holding a pillow againnst it
common breathing exercise device that helps prevent respiratory complications after surgery; patient breathes deeply into tool and attempts to raise ball
Steps to using an incentive spirometer
- assist patient into comfortable position
- have patient breath normally
- tell patients to put lips around mouthpiece and create a seal
- instruct patients to breathe heavily into device
- After inhaling, patient should hold their breath for 3 seconds than exhale
- encourage patients to repeat every 1-2 hours
First aid: bleeding
apply pressure to site with gauze pad for several minutes
do not cheack if bleeding has stopped as it can dislodge forming clots
Steps to stop a nosebleed
- have patient sit up and lean forward
- apply pressure to nostril by pinching nose
- maintain pressure for 10-15 min
- if nose is still bleeding, insert gauze and notify nurse
Universal sign for choking
hands on throat
Administering abdominal thrusts to an adult
- stand or kneel behind patient
- wrap arms around their waist
- make a fist and place thumb of fist against patients abdomen
- grasp fist with other hand and press fist into abdomen with quick forceful thrust
- repeat until patient expels foreign body or becomes unresponsive
Uring a seizure DO NOT...
- restrain patient
- force anything into their mouth
What to do during a seizure?
- call for assistance
- removae anything from area that can injure patient
- after contractions subside, turn patient's heade to one side so secretions can drain from mouth
- stay with patient until seizure is over or emergency personnel arrive
symtoms of shock:
- rapid pulse
- shallow breathing
- blank stare
- cold, clammy, pale skin
What to do during shock?
- ensure patient has an open airway
- if patient is laying down, position head below body
- keep patient warm until help arrives
whe patient feels dizzy or faint...
- have them lie down
- elevate their lower legs or have them sit and place their head between their knees
- stay w/ them and call for assistance
cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
the attempt to restore cardiac and pulmonary function
Recertification for CPR is...
every 2 years
Steps to take for CPR
- shake shoulders and ask "are you okay"
- call for assistance or activate facility's emergency response system
- proceed w/ steps learned in BLS cert.
- know wher AEDs can be found
- if delegated to do so, obtain AED, place it near left ear(not touching patient), and attach electrodes to chest
- follow instructions
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Module 1: Hospice and Postmortem Care
Module 4: Blood-culture collection and Adverse rea…
Module 2: Role of Patient Care Technicians
Module 4: Specimen handling and Transport
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Module 5: Dysrhythmias
Module 5: Ischemia, Injury and Infarction
Module 5: Intervals and Waveforms
Module 5: Identification and Resolution…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Tech Writing Exam
NHA Medical Assistant study test
1. Umweltmedizin, Grundbegriffe der Ökologie und H…