5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paul's mother
- Paul Baumer
- Joseph Behm
- a Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- b narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- c dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- d first to have sex out of Paul's friends
- e First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
5 Multiple choice questions
- French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
- noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
- must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
5 True/False questions
Kindervater → Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
Kantorek → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Lewandowski → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Tjaden → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Albert Kropp → One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.