5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paul Baumer
- a Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- b first to have sex out of Paul's friends
- c narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- d Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
- e Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
5 Multiple choice questions
- someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
- cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
5 True/False questions
Haie Westhus → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
Albert Kropp → One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.
Gerard Duval → French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
Sergeant Oellrich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Joseph Behm → First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.