5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paul Baumer
- Franz Kemmerich
- Gerard Duval
- a School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- b narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- c must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- d cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- e French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
5 Multiple choice questions
- wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
- man who come back from the dying room
- Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
5 True/False questions
Paul's mother → dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
Kat → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Detering → man who come back from the dying room
Sergeant Oellrich → must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
Josef Hamacher → First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.