5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Josef Hamacher
- Paul's mother
- a dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- b noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- c One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
- d someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
- e sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
- must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
5 True/False questions
Paul Baumer → narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
Detering → Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
Haie Westhus → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
Lieutenant Bertinck → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Leer → first to have sex out of Paul's friends