5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Franz Kemmerich
- Gerard Duval
- Albert Kropp
- a School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- b Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
- c must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- d One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.
- e French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
- noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- man who come back from the dying room
5 True/False questions
Joseph Behm → sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
Lieutenant Bertinck → company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
French brunette → must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
Kindervater → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Kat → man who come back from the dying room