5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Haie Westhus
- a wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- b really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
- c School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- d first to have sex out of Paul's friends
- e cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
- company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
5 True/False questions
Josef Hamacher → sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
Tjaden → Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
Himmelstoss → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
Mittelstaedt → Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
Kat → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)