5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lieutenant Bertinck
- French brunette
- Haie Westhus
- a company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- b wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- c man who come back from the dying room
- d noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- e has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
5 Multiple choice questions
- someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
- must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
5 True/False questions
Kat → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Lewandowski → Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
Ginger → someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
Paul's mother → dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
Gerard Duval → French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.