5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Joseph Behm
- Paul's mother
- French brunette
- Josef Hamacher
- a dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- b sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- c First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
- d has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- e Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
5 Multiple choice questions
- One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.
- really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
- narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- first to have sex out of Paul's friends
- School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
5 True/False questions
Detering → man who come back from the dying room
Gerard Duval → French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
Franz Kemmerich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Sergeant Oellrich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Peter → first to have sex out of Paul's friends