5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sergeant Oellrich
- Josef Hamacher
- a sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- b really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
- c Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
- d cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- e Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
5 Multiple choice questions
- wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
- narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
5 True/False questions
Kat → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Kantorek → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
French brunette → has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
Tjaden → Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
Himmelstoss → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.