Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 3 Review Questions
Terms in this set (18)
What is the difference between ethics and laws
Ethics: the knowledge of right and wrong.
Laws: are usually based on ethics
List eight examples of legal and ethical behavior for a nursing assistant.
1) Be honest at all times 2) Protect resident's privacy 3) Keep staff information confidential 4) Report abuse or suspected abuse of residents 5) Follow the care plan and your assignments 6) Do not perform any task outside your scope of practice 7) Follow rules about safety and infection prevention 8) Do not accept gifts or tips
According to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act's (OBRA) requirements, how many hours of training must nurse assistants complete at a minimum?
A nursing assistant must complete at least 75 hours
How soon must a Minimum Data SET (MDS) be completed on new residents' admission?
within 14 days of admission
what is the purpose of resident rights?
They provide an ethical code of conduct for healthcare workers
If a nursing assistant sees abuse or suspects that a resident is being abused, what is her responsibility?
They must follow the chain of command and report it as soon as they suspect abuse
What are mandated reporters?
people who are legally required to report suspected or observed abuse or neglect because they have regular contact with vulnerable populations, such as the elderly in care facilities
List five possible signs of abuse that should be reported by the nursing assistant. List five possible signs of neglect that should be reported by the nursing assistant.
1) Yelling obscenities 2) Fear, apprehensions, fear of being alone 3) Poor self-control 4) Constant pain 5) Threating to hurt others
1) Pressure injuries 2) Unclean body 3) Body lice 4) Unanswered call lights 5) Soiled bedding or incontinence briefs not being changed
If a resident wants to make a complaint of abuse, what is the nursing assistants' responsibility?
They must assist the resident in every way. They have to explain their rights and the process of reporting the abuse.
Pick three of the examples of behavior promoting Residents Rights in Learning Objective 5. Describes how each example supports or promotes specific Resident Rights.
1) Never abuse a resident physically, psychologically, verbally, or sexually. They have the right to be safe and protected. 2) Call the residents by the name he or she prefers. They have a right to be called what they want. 3) Always explain a procedure to a resident before preforming it. They have a right to know what is going on.
What happens if a nursing assistant is accused of abusing a resident?
She will be reported to the relevant state agency immediately.
What is the role of an ombudsman?
Investigate and resolve complaints
What is one important reason that HIPPA was passed?
To help keep health information private
List five examples of a persons protected health information about a resident (PHI).
1) persons name 2) address 3) telephone number 4) medical record number 5) email
With whom is a nursing assistant allowed to share information about a resident?
Fellow coworkers that are also working with that resident
To which members of the healthcare team is HIPPA applicable?
All of them
Define advance directives and briefly describe two examples.
Advance Directive are legal documents that allow people to decide what kind of medical care they wish to have in the event they are unable to make those decisions themselves. A living will outline of the medical care the resident wants, Do-not-resusitae (DNR) to let them know they don't need to resuscitate.
List three rights relating to advance directives that the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) requires be given to a resident at the time of admission.
1) the right to participate in and direct healthcare decisions 2) the right to accept or refuse treatment 3) the right to prepare an advance directive
Sets found in the same folder
Chapter 1 Review Questions
Chapter 2 Review Questions
Unit 1 Test review
Chapter 4 Review Questiosn
Other sets by this creator
Final Exam Review Questions
Module 5 Review Questions
Chapter 21 Review Questions
Chapter 19 Review Questions
Other Quizlet sets
REVIEW EXAM 2 PSCI
ASTR Ch. 6 Quiz