Upgrade to remove ads
Human Phys- Integumentary System
Terms in this set (28)
The 5 Functions of the Integumentary System
2. Body temperature regulation
3. Cutaneous sensation
4. Metabolic function
True or false: the dermis is superficial to the epidermis
False: the epidermis is superficial to the dermis (or) the dermis is deeper to the epidermis
What types of tissue does the epidermis have?
Stratified squamous epithelial
What types of tissue does the dermis have?
Areolar connective and dense irregular connective tissue
What types of tissue do the subcutaneous have?
Areolar and adipose connective tissue
What are the functions of the subcutaneous layer?
1. Insulates the body
2. Stored source of energy
3. Attaches dermis/epidermis to muscle
4. Shock absorbing pad
5. Protects underlying tissue
6. Can be used as food source
7. Contains blood vessels to bring blood to dermis
Description of keratinocytes
4 to 5 layers, produces keratin, waterproof skin
Description of melanocytes
Produces the pigment Melanin
Description of Langerhans cells
Produces a immune against pathogens in the skin
Description of Merkel cells
Detect touch and sensory sensations
Description of melanin
1. Brown, black, yellow pigment
2. Overall skin shade is dependent upon the amount of pigment produced
3. Gives some protection against UV
Description of Carotene
1. Yellow to orange pigment
2. Found in subcutaneous layer and adipose tissue
Description of hemoglobin
1. Pink to red pigment
2. Shade depends on amount of blood flow and oxygen
3. the color is due to the pigment inside red blood cells
List the three functions of hair
1. Warns insects of skin
2. Physical trauma
3. Heat loss
Where will you not find hair?
Palms, soles, lips, nipples, portions of external genitalia
True or false: hair is mainly composed of cerumen
False: hair is mainly composed of keratin
True or false: hair color is due to melanin
True or false: sebaceous glands are associated with hair
True or false: contraction of the arrector pili muscles make hair stand erect
True or false: when you were cutting your hair you are cutting the follicle
False: when you are cutting your hair you're cutting your hair shaft
What do sebaceous glands do?
1. Protects the skin from drying out and bacteria
2. connected to hair follicles
3. secrete oily sebum
What do sudoriferous glands do?
1. Apocrine sweat glands (belongs to another type of gland)
2. secretes sweat
3. Eccrine sweat gland (belongs to another type of gland)
What do apocrine sweat glands do?
1. Found in the axilla, groin, areolae, beard
What do eccrine sweat glands do?
1. Widely distributed and aid in Thermo regulation
What do ceruminous glands do?
1. Found in the external auditory canal
2. Provides barrier against foreign bodies
3. Secretes wax
4. Combines with sebum to produce ear wax
Where would you find matrix producing hair cells?
In the hair papillae
List three functions of nails
1. Protects and fingers
3. Picking things up
Why are nails so strong and durable?
They are made of hard keratin
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Connective Tissue Test Review
Organ systems-Anat/Phy H- Mrs. Chacon
Chapter 5 Practice Questions (Human Anat…
***MASTER SET*** Bone Practical Exam
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Integumentary System Anatomy Test
Physio | Integumentary System Review Worksheet
Anatomy - Chapter 3 (Integumentary System) Test Re…
Unit 2 Vocab
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR