Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
American Literature - Poems Test
Terms in this set (18)
5 reasons for studying great literature
1. it humanizes us(showing what it means to be human)
2. It draws us into a community
3. It inspires us to to stop, look, and listen
4. It helps us in our search for truth and meaning.
5. It deepens us by making important things unforgettable.
1. Old Age Sticks - who is it about?
2. the fencepost look is made with...?
3. what is ironic?
1. the old and the young
3. the young will eventually become the old - the mockers become the mocked
Introduction to Poetry - what is it about?
what should we do?
what do we do?
1. Humanity's lack of curiosity
2. be excited and have fun with learning - "drop a mouse into a poem and watch him probe his way out"
3. we just want to. know the meaning - "torture a confession out of it" - "is it going to be on the test?"
The Road Not Taken - what is it about?
What path did frost take?
what does it/Mrs. G tell us?
1. Non-conformism. Don't do the same thing as everyone else.
2. The path less taken
3. Forest; two paths
4. Pick a path, and if you don't like it, try the other one. Just keep walking. Both paths are okay.
Traveling Through the Dark - what is it about?
What did the author find?
1. Integrity - what do you do when no one is looking?
2. There was a dead deer along the side of the road with a live baby. He pushed it off the road to prevent anyone from dying
Rednecks - why do the boys think they are better than everyone else?
what happened to the woman?
What do the boys so when the see the women?
What does the farmer do when he sees the boys?
What does this poem tell us?
1. They have high school diplomas
2. She was badly burned
3. they stare at her burns
4. Kisses the woman for a long time
5. Consider you humanity- we are quick to judge, but have the capacity for unconditional love
Those Winter Sundays - what kind of language does this poem show
What does the father do for the son?
How does son react?
What does this show us?
1.Blue-black language (blue - black cold)
2. Wakes up early to start the fire and shine shoes
3. Acts entitled
4. We are lacking grateful hearts- Dad is selfless
Ego - what science experiment is happening?
What does this show us about us?
What gives us comfort?
1.The sun and moon as fruit
2. We are tiny, basically nothing, specks - "we are merely a pinprick in one goosebump on an orange"
3. God loves spects
Success is Counted Sweetest - what does this show us?
capture the flag?
1. The more of something you have, the less you like it
2. is an old timely battle reenactment
Splitting an Order - what is it about?
What does this capture?
What does this show us?
1.An old man splitting a sandwich with his wife; split from corner to corner
2. A sweet moment between husband and wife.
3. Love is patient; he waits while the wife takes her time
Snow - what does the format show us?
what does it show us?
What is it about?
1. Huge spaces shows the passage of time
2. You gotta love the little suckers in the world
3. An older brother who tells his younger brother that snow angels are made from angels who were shot by a farmer and dissolved
Foul Shot - what is it about?
1. Shooting a free throw; he made it
2. One word lines build suspense - choose good verbs; use vocab wisely and creatively; alliterations
The Materialism of Angels - what is it about?
what does this tell us about humanity?
what does this tell us about the world?
what do the angels do? (7)
what is Mrs. Goslinga's favorite line?
what does God do?
1. Heaven is the ultimate celebration
2. We lack joy - "You people kinda suck"
3. This world is lavished with good things. Be thankful for our little red bit (Francis Chan)
4. - eat cashews
- eat mangoes
- eat tabasco sauce/spicy things
- have canopy bed
- take long naps
- take long showers
- scratch where it itches(fav line)
Plays the alto sax
Held - format
what comfort does this song bring?
what is the question being asked, and what is the answer?
what are our options?
how is hope shown?
what does this tell us about Earth?
what is the song about?
2. God will be with us through the hard times
3. Why do bad things happen to good people? we do not know why
4.We can be bitter, or we can feel hope
5. Through lilies
6. Our time on earth is short, but eternity is forever; there is no more suffering in Heaven
7. The author lost her baby
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - format
what is Bono looking for?
where has Bono gone?
what is Bono talking about in stanza 4?
- who is Bono talking about in stanza 7&8?
why is Vegas a good setting? (6)
why hasn't Bono found it?
women- love, sex, relationships
Vegas fulfills satisfactions - money, drugs, sex, success, entertainment, buffets
Our satisfaction is not on Earth, but in Heaven
What Every Solider Should Know - what do we not know?
why do we study this?
what do they experience? (3)
1. We have no idea what it is like for them - people can pretend to be nice, but be happy about their deaths the next day
2. It deepens us by making important things unforgettable
3. - bombs in shopping carts and animal carcasses
- "I will kill you, American" on overpasses
- rejoicing over their deaths
Still I Rise - what is this poem about?
what is the question asked?
Nobleness of the human spirit
Where is the nobleness of America?
Still I Rise - what does Maya tell us/what do people think? (5)
What does she compare herself to?
what three characteristics does she have?
what does she compare herself to? (big)
1. - people can be jerks, but they cannot keep her down
- people think that they do not deserve to feel certain ways, but we are valuable
2. - diamonds
- gold mines
- oil wells
- vast ocean
4.. - sassiness
5. a black ocean
6. Slaves :
- spoke at a presidential inauguration
- knew Martin Luther King Jr.
Other sets by this creator
U.S. History Unit 2 Test
Comm Advertisement Test
D&D Unit 3 Quiz
Unit 2- The Doctrine of God
Other Quizlet sets
Catholicism exam study guide 2013
Finance Practice Problems
bio 141 exam 1