5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Napoleonic Code
- How did the third Estate empower itself?
- August 4th, 1789
- a - Had the largest population
- Declared themselves the National Assembly
- b This was the civil code put out by Napoleon that granted equality of all male citizens before the law and granted absolute security of wealth and private property. Napoleon also secured this by creating the Bank of France which loyally served the interests of both the state and the financial oligarchy
- c This is the date the National Assembly ended the Old Regime, feudalism, church tithes and the special privileges of the First/Second Estates
- d During the Terror, The Catholic Church was linked to real or potential counter-revolutions. Religion was linked with the Ancient Regime, and Superstition, and so the Committee of Public Safety enacted measures to reduce its influence. IT included: New Calendar, abolishing of Religious holidays, new names for months, 7-day weeks replaced with 10-day decades.
- e Radical republicans during the French Revolution. They were led by Maximilien Robespierre from 1793 to 1794.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the Gov't of France from 1799-1804-from the fall of the Directory in the coup of 18 Bromaire until the start of the Napoleonic Empire. The term Consulate refers to this period of French history. During this period, Napoleon, as First Consul had established himself as the head of gov't in France but had not yet declared himself Emperor.
- French nobles who fled from France during the peasant uprisings. They were very conservative and hoped to restore the king to power.
- - To ban the public exercise of religion.
- Completely separate Church from State.
- French revolutionary heroine (a Girondist) who assassinated Marat (1768-1793)
- -abolished Sundays & religious holidays.
-months named after seasonal features.
-7-day weeks replaced by 10-day
-the yearly calendar was dated from
the creation of the Republic
[Sept. 22, 1792]
The Convention divorced the
state from the Church.
5 True/False questions
What was the purpose of the Committee of Public Safety? → - French army destroyed
- Napoleon flees.
Why was the Battle of Leipzig and Waterloo significant? → Combat internal and external threats to the Revolution.
Horatio Nelson → the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
Constitution of 1791 → all 3 estates have equal power in government, National Assembly becomes Legislative Assembly, absolute monarchy is abolished, forcing the king to obey.
What was the directory and how did the course of the Revolution change under its governance? → The directory was the new government that was enacted after the Reign of Terror.
-Five man group as the executive branch of the country; incompetent and corrupt, only lasted for 4 years