5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Charlotte Corday
- August 4th, 1789
- Reign of Terror
- St. Helena
- Old Order
- a Location of Napoleon's exile
- b the period, from mid-1793 to mid-1794, when Robespierre ruled France nearly as a dictator and thousands of political figures and ordinary citizens were executed
- c This is the date the National Assembly ended the Old Regime, feudalism, church tithes and the special privileges of the First/Second Estates
- d French revolutionary heroine (a Girondist) who assassinated Marat (1768-1793)
- e • Old Regime - socio-political system which
existed in most of Europe during the 18th century
• Countries were ruled by absolutism - the
monarch had absolute control over the
• Classes of people - privileged and unprivileged
- Unprivileged people - paid taxes and treated badly
- Privileged people - did not pay taxes and treated
5 Multiple choice questions
- French revolutionary leader (born in Switzerland) who was a leader in overthrowing the Girondists and was stabbed to death in his bath by Charlotte Corday (1743-1793)
- King Louis XVI and his families attempt to escape Paris; made it only to Varennes where they were arrested and put on house arrest. End of French Monarchy
- - Privileged classes who did not have to pay taxes.
- The King and Queens lavish spending.
- His decision to attempt to invade Russia, defeats at Waterloo and Leipzig.
- - High expectations
- Lack of supplies, roads, foraging.
- Russians used scorched earth tactic, destroying towns and villages so French could not use them.
- Harsh weather conditions.
5 True/False questions
The Political Spectrum → a way of modeling different political positions by placing them upon one or more geometric axes symbolizing independent political dimensions.
National Assembly → the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
Napoleon Bonaparte → Conquers all of Europe except UK and Russia. Places his family in charge of lands.
De-Christianization → During the Terror, The Catholic Church was linked to real or potential counter-revolutions. Religion was linked with the Ancient Regime, and Superstition, and so the Committee of Public Safety enacted measures to reduce its influence. IT included: New Calendar, abolishing of Religious holidays, new names for months, 7-day weeks replaced with 10-day decades.
Why did the Reign of Terror End? → • Life returns to "normal"
• Churches reopen; émigrés return
• Revolution becomes more moderate after
death of Robes./end of R. of T.
• New constitution/govt= the Directory
(11/1795—11/1799—ends w/Nap's coup)
• 5 directors (exec) & legislature of property
• Remembered for corruption/inefficiency