5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Battle of Waterloo
- Storming of the Bastille
- Guerrilla Warfare
- National Assembly
- Old Order
- a On June 18, 1815, Napoleon met a combined British and Prussian army under the Duke of Wellington and suffered a bloody defeat.
- b It occurred in Paris occurred on July 14, 1789. While the medieval fortress and prison known as the Bastille contained only seven prisoners, its fall was the flashpoint of the French Revolution and it subsequently become an icon of the French Republic.
- c 1789—1791—limited
Monarchy; end of feudalism, Dec. of Rights;
Const. of Clergy (swear oath—C.C. loses land)
- d a hit-and-run technique used in fighting a war; fighting by small bands of warriors using tactics such as sudden ambushes
- e • Old Regime - socio-political system which
existed in most of Europe during the 18th century
• Countries were ruled by absolutism - the
monarch had absolute control over the
• Classes of people - privileged and unprivileged
- Unprivileged people - paid taxes and treated badly
- Privileged people - did not pay taxes and treated
5 Multiple choice questions
- this event took place during the Great Fear. Women marched to Versailles to demand bread from the king and queen. They also demanded the king and queen to return to Paris to rule there. They then forced the king's family out of the palace.
- the Gov't of France from 1799-1804-from the fall of the Directory in the coup of 18 Bromaire until the start of the Napoleonic Empire. The term Consulate refers to this period of French history. During this period, Napoleon, as First Consul had established himself as the head of gov't in France but had not yet declared himself Emperor.
- • Despite early treaty, Russia continues to
• Napoleon decides to invade
• Amasses army of ~500,000 (422,000-
• Invasion begins in June, 1812
• Remembered as one of history's greatest
- Delegates in the National Convention who favored a republic but feared domination by Paris. Rivals of the Mountain and Jacobins.
- France's traditional national assembly with representatives of the three estates, or classes, in French society: the clergy, nobility, and commoners. The calling of the Estates General in 1789 led to the French Revolution.
5 True/False questions
How did Napoleon consolidate his power? → • Plebiscite
• 1802: First Consul?
• 1804: Emperor?
"Order, security and
How/why did the French change their calendar during the Revolution? → -abolished Sundays & religious holidays.
-months named after seasonal features.
-7-day weeks replaced by 10-day
-the yearly calendar was dated from
the creation of the Republic
[Sept. 22, 1792]
The Convention divorced the
state from the Church.
Horatio Nelson → the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
Battle of Leipzig → Also known as the Battle of the Nations; in October 1813, the combined armies of the fourth coalition decisively defeated Napoleon and the French army
Why did the Reign of Terror End? → - Thermidorean Reaction
- Robespierre arrested, tried, and guillotined.