Upgrade to remove ads
BIO 161 - Human Organisms Test 1
Terms in this set (15)
Water is essential to life because...
- Water is a solvent--it is an excellent solvent because of its polarity-- positive ions are attracted to the oxygen in water, while negative ions are attracted to the hydrogen. This allows water to dissolve compounds important for survival, including carbohydrates used energy.
- All are correct
- Water is a metabolite—water is a chemical involved in a multitude of reactions critical for the survival of all organisms on earth. For example, water is required for polymerization, depolymerization, photosynthesis, and respiration.
- Water is a temperature buffer--It exists as a liquid, solid, and gas within a tight range of temperatures that occur on earth. It has a high specific heat and, therefore, absorbs heat without raising the temperature of the organism,
All are correct
Polymers are torn apart by _______________, a reaction in which a water molecule is added and a monomer is separated
A phase I clinical trial is focused on...
Which subatomic particle: A. Electron B. Neutron C. Proton
____ has a negative charge and a negligible mass?
____ has a positive charge and a mass of 1?
____ is neutral and has a mass of 1?
An isotope as the same number of ____ but different numbers of ____ .
A, C, B, C, B
This major macromolecule of life is nucleotide that is capable of storing energy in its phosphate-phosphate bonds
Which one of these is not a property of all eukaryotic cells?
Osmosis is a term used to described the diffusion of water across a selectively permeable membrane. If a water permeable bag filled with 98% water and 2% sucrose is placed into a hypertonic solution (90% water, 10% sucrose), the bag will...
Lose water and shrivel
This body cavity houses the brain and spinal cord
Match each organelle to its description:
A= rough ER; B= nucleus, C= mitochondria; and D=Golgi apparatus
____ modifies proteins that are made by attached ribosomes
____ packages proteins before they are sent to their destination
____ contains genetic information that is organized in chromosomes
____ the site of cellular respiration/provides cells with energy
A, D, B, C
Please indicate whether the following statements describe cellular respiration (A) or fermentation (B)
1) Oxygen requiring pathway ____
2) Takes place entirely in the cytoplasm ____
3) Occurs in muscle cells when the oxygen supply is running low ____
4) More efficient, resulting in the net production of 36 molecules of ATP ____
A, B, B, A
This cell breaks down bone tissue, a function that is important for the repair, maintenance, and remodeling of bone.
Do the following types of muscle have A. voluntary or B. involuntary contractions:
B, A, B
If a stimulated muscle receives a second stimulus before it fully relaxed, the second twitch will be stronger than the first. This phenomenon is known as
Is this an attribute of A. fast-twitch or B. slow-twitch muscle
1) Slow contractions, has great endurance
2) Rapid, powerful contractions, lower endurance
3) Relies on anaerobic metabolic pathways to generate ATP
4) Abundant mitochondria
B, A, A, B
Match the following diseases of the skeletal or muscular system to the correct statement: A. Osteogenesis imperfecta; B. Osteoporosis; C. osteosarcoma; D. Rheumatoid arthritis; E. mitochondrial myopathy
____ is an autoimmune disorder that principally attacks flexible (synovial) joints
____ is a disease of the muscle that is inherited from an individual's mother
____ Is a cancer of the bone that is most often observed in adolescents and young adults
____ is a disease frequently observed in women as estrogen levels decline with age
D, E, C, B
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Bio 161 - Quizzes 9-11
Bio 161: Lectures 9-12
MKT 302 - Ch 14
MKT 302 - Chapter 13
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Global Business 200 Quiz 6
Leadership Exam 1