Create an account
1. (adj) stubbornly resistant to reason or authority 2. (n) a perverse or wayward person
(adj) unnecessarily repetitive or superfluous; more than what is normally considered adequate or necessary
1. (adj) springy or flexible; able to resume its original shape 2. (adj) able to recover quickly from sickness, change, or misfortune
(n) a prescribed form or order for some kind of ceremony; something that is regularly and faithfully practiced
1. (v) to chew cud (as it applies to cows, etc) 2. (v) to ponder at length; to turn over in one's mind
1. (v) to hamper, injure, or destroy maliciously or stealthily 2. (n) malicious damage, destruction, or hindrance of something
1. (n) an outward projection in a military position; anything that protrudes beyond its surroundings 2. (adj) prominent or conspicuous
(adj) making a great but insincere show of being holy or righteous, usually for the purpose of impressing others
1. (n) a natural or artificial body revolving around a celestial body of larger size 2. (n) a country that is under the domination or influence of a larger or more powerful country 3. (adj) dependent
(n) an intangible barrier within a hierarchy that prevents women or minorities from obtaining upper-level positions
(n) someone or something that is innocently made to bear the blame or punishment for the sins or misdeeds of others
1. (n) comfort or consolation in sorrow, distress, or misfortune 2. (v) to comfort or console
(n) endurance; the moral or physical strength required to withstand hardships or overcome obstacles
1. (n) a conventional, usually oversimplified, conception or representation of something 2. (v) to force into a uniform, and usually oversimplified, mole; to develop a fixed and unvarying idea about
1. (n) an overall plan of action designed to achieve a specific goal 2. (n) the science of planning and directing such an operation
(n) close observation of a person or group considered suspicious; a continuous watch for the purpose of direction or control
(n) a group of traits, symptoms, or signs that collectively characterize a disease or social condition
1. (n) a deceptively attractive outward appearance 2. (v) to cover something with a veneer of fine material
(adj) worthy of reverence or respect because of character, position, age, or religious or historical associations
1. (n) the right or power of the chief executive to reject measures approved by the legislative body 2. (v) to prevent a bill from becoming law by exercising the right of veto; to prohibit or reject
1. (adj) evaporating readily at normal temperatures or pressure levels 2. (adj) changeable and potentially explosive
1. (v) to decrease gradually in size, extent, power, or intensity 2. (n) a gradual decline or decrease
1. (n) a comical person given to outlandish behavior; a buffoon 2. (adj) ludicrously comic, bizarre, or absurd
1. (n) the point of a celestial sphere that is directly above the observer and vertically opposite the extreme point below 2. (n) the highest point or state of something
(adj) economic policies based on the premise that the public sector should balance or regulate the excesses of the private sector
(adj) economic and social policies that reflect the values of communism by prioritizing the rights of the proletariat
(adj) philosophical method that prioritizes direct observation and the use of logic/reason
(adj) period of British culture defined by loosened moral standards and artistic experimentation the beginning of the modern age in England
(adj) marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity/ surreal distortion/ a sense of impending danger
(adj) political policies that emphasize personal liberty and the pursuit of happiness/prosperity
(adj) referring to the political, cultural, and artistic events of Elizabeth's reign, a Golden Age of British culture and influence
(adj) involving diverse characters from all socio-economic classes, while focusing on the plight of the lower classes / big, sprawling narrative
(adj) psychological insight related to infantile development, the subconscious, dreams, family relationships, etc.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together