Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
pharm-chapter 50 Q's
Terms in this set (8)
1. A patient is taking simethicone for excessive flatus associated with diverticulitis. The nurse is teaching about the mechanism of action of simethicone. Which statement is correct?
a. it neutralizes gastric pH, thereby preventing gas
b. it buffers the effects of pepsin on the gastric wall
c. it decreases gastric acid secretion and thereby minimizes flatus
d. it causes mucus-coated gas bubbles to break into smaller ones
2. the nurse is evaluating the medication list of a patient who will be starting therapy with an H2 receptor antagonist. Which of these drugs may cause an interaction?
3. which is the correct action when the nurse is administering sucralfate? SATA
a. giving the drug with meals
b. giving the drug on an empty stomach
c. instructing the patient to restrict fluids
d. waiting 30 minutes before administering other drugs
e. giving other drugs 2 hours before giving the sucralfate
4. A patient with a history of renal problems is asking for advice about which antacid he should use. The nurse will make what recommendation?
a. patients with renal problems cannot use antacids
b. aluminum based antacids are the best choice for you
c. calcium based antacids are the best choice for you
d. magnesium based antacids are the best choice for you
5. A patient who is taking oral tetracycline complains of heartburn and requests an antacid. which action by the nurse is correct?
a. give the tetracycline, but delay the antacid for 1-2 hours
b. give the antacid, but delay the tetracycline for at least 4 hours
c. administer both medications together
d. explain that the antacid cannot be given while the patient is taking the tetracycline
6. when the nurse is administering a proton pump inhibitor, which actions by the nurse are correct? SATA
a. giving the PPI on an empty stomach
b. giving the PPI with meals
c. making sure the patient does not crush or chew the capsules
d. instructing the patient to open the capsule and chew the contents for best absorption
e. administering the PPI only when the patient complains of heartburn
7. The order reads: "Give pantoprzole (protonix) 40mg in 100mL normal saline IVPB once daily. Infuse over 30 minutes." The infusion pump can only be programmed to deliver over 1 hour (mL per hour). The nurse will set the pump to deliver how many mL for each IVPB dose?
8. The nurse is preparing to administer the first dose of misoprostol (cytotec) for a patient who has been diagnosed with a gastric ulcer. What condition would be a contraindication to this medication?
b. type 2 diabetes mellitus
Sets with similar terms
VN 140 Ch. 34, 2, 3 St. GD. MIDTERM
Pharmacology--Medication Therapy--Ch. 5
Pharmacology NCLEX Questions
Pharmacology Chapter 30: Macrolides
Sets found in the same folder
Pharm chapter 36 questions
Pharm- Chapter 37 Chapter Questions
Pharm- Chapter 51 Chapter Questions
Pharm- Chapter 52 Chapter Questions
Other sets by this creator
Chapter 51-Bowel disorder drugs
Chapter 52- antiemetic and anti-nausea drugs