Create an account
Era of British rule in India, the administration carried out by Indian Civil Service, made of mostly British officials. Railroads build and British manufactured goods brought in and Indian resources exported, but previous Indian industries devastated
Causes and Effects of Imperialism in 1800s
• Causes: Desire for resources and Markets, political competition among western nations, western belief in cultural superiority
• Effects: Colonization, rise of nationalism, exploitation of peoples under colonial rule
1868-1912: Meiji period and emperor's return to power, Learned from China and decided the best way to preserve Japan was to modernize and reform: learned Western society and practices (military & economics) and rapid industrialization
• Ended feudalism; local government based on districts
• Enacted European style constitution
• Invested in transportation and communication
• Government directly supported businesses and industries
• Modeled army and navy after those of Prussia and Britain
• Required three years' military service from all men
Sepoys (Indian soldiers who fought in British army) in 1857 rose up against British officers when a new type of rifle in which a soldier had to bite off a cartridge greased with pork fat offended them, British government ended rule of East India Company and went directly to government, distrust continued
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together