Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Afbrotafræði Kafli 9
Terms in this set (56)
1. In 1789, there were ______ Supreme Court justices; since 1869, there have consistently been ______ justices.
d. six; nine
2. The number of justices serving on the Supreme Court is determined by ______.
3. The Supreme Court's decision in Marbury v. Madison defined the power of ______.
b. judicial review
4. The geographic area where the trial occurs is called the ______.
5. Which type of court reviews only cases that were originally decided by a lower court?
d. courts with appellate jurisdiction
6. Which two types of courts make up the dual court system?
a. federal and state courts
7. All of the following types of cases would most likely be heard in federal court EXCEPT ______.
b. a civil case involving counterfeiting
8. The only federal court established by constitutional mandate rather than federal legislation is ______.
d. district court
9. What is the first step in having one's case reviewed by the Supreme Court?
c. writing an in forma pauperis brief
10. Which type of opinion has the most significant impact on the final decision of a Supreme Court case?
11. The idea that the justices should be less active in reviewing cases from the legislatures and Congress is referred to as judicial ______.
12. The U.S. Courts of Appeal are also called ______.
c. intermediate appellate courts
13. Currently, there are ______ circuits and ______ courts of appeal in the United States.
d. thirteen; thirteen
14. If a court of appeals determines that there were no errors of law made on the district court level, then the ______.
c. decision of the lower court is upheld
15. The general trial courts for the federal system are the ______.
b. U.S. district courts
16. Which case would most likely be heard in U.S. district court?
d. international drug trafficking
17. All of the following are courts of limited jurisdiction EXCEPT ______.
c. circuit courts
18. Police courts, traffic courts, and municipal courts are typically overseen by ______.
d. a magistrate
19. The overall goal of the courthouse workgroup is ______.
a. the efficient disposition of cases through the court
20. Which of the following is a responsibility of an appellate judge?
d. presiding over oral arguments
21. Who defines the duties of a magistrate judge?
a. the district court judge
22. Caleb is an attorney who was appointed by the president and is responsible for prosecuting federal offenses in the court system. Caleb is most likely a ______.
b. U.S. attorney
23. Which term best describes an effective prosecutor/police relationship?
24. The primary goal of the defense is to ______.
a. secure an acquittal for the defendant
25. A defense attorney can legally do all of the following EXCEPT ______.
c. present false evidence
26. Mary is an attorney who is employed by the state or federal government to serve as legal counsel for poor defendants. Mary is a(n) ______.
d. contract counsel
27. Ethan is an attorney who receives state reimbursement for defending rural clients who cannot afford to pay for an attorney. Ethan is most likely a(n) ______.
a. assigned counsel
28. Court office is synonymous with ______.
29. A bailiff has all of the following responsibilities EXCEPT ______.
a. announcing the verdict
30. Oral arguments and testimony of witnesses are all recorded by the court ______.
31. Docketing cases, collecting court fees, and arranging a jury pool are responsibilities of the court ______.
32. Scheduling cases, gathering relevant data that a judge may need, and maintaining the court's budget are all duties of the ______.
a. court administrators
33. In which two states must a person be 21 years old to serve on a jury?
a. Mississippi and Missouri
34. What is the primary reason that a victim is a key player in the courtroom workgroup?
b. The trial revolves around the victim's story and evidence.
35. Under which circumstance can a judge not order a change of venue due to the media?
a. If there is no way a defendant can get a fair trial.
36. What is the general purpose of a trial court administrator?
b. to help the court run more efficiently
37. Why are members of the media typically included in the courtroom workgroup?
b. They influence all stages of the trial.
38. Traditionally, court documents were submitted ______.
c. on paper
39. How does technology help ensure that court files are complete?
d. There is less chance that electronic copies will be lost, damaged, or stolen.
40. A change of venue will mean all of the following for a trial EXCEPT ______.
b. witnesses will not be available to testify
41. All of the following are methods to provide legal assistance to indigent offenders EXCEPT ______.
c. defense attorneys
1. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the United States.
2. Most cases reach the Supreme Court on appeal.
3. The Supreme Court is a court of last resort.
4. Assembly line justice is most common in the lower courts.
5. It is illegal for jurors' perceptions of events, the defendant, and members of the courtroom to influence the jury's decision.
6. All members of a community can serve on a jury.
7. At present, technology is used in state courts only.
8. A juror may be excused from a case for listening to media coverage of that particular case.
9. It is important for the victim and the judge to have a strong relationship during the trial process.
10. In all states, jurors must be citizens of the United States.
11. Court clerk is synonymous with court administrator.
12. The defense is the legal counterpart to the prosecuting attorney.
13. Magistrate judges on the federal level were created by the Federal Magistrate Act of 1968.
14. To become a judge, an individual must hold a law degree, be licensed to practice law in that state, and be a member of the state bar association.
15. The Supreme Court is a trial court.
Recommended textbook explanations
Magruder's American Government
Magruder's American Government (Florida Student Edition)
TEKS United States Government
Donald A. Ritchie, Richard C. Remy
Sets with similar terms
government 3.5 quiz
Judicial Branch Quiz/Test
Article 3 - Judicial Branch
Other sets by this creator
Kafli 14. Afbrotafræði
Kafli 13. Afbrotafræði
Kafli 12 Afbrotafræði
Afbrotafræði Kafli 11
Other Quizlet sets
Prevailing Worldviews: Chapter 7 (Romanticism-Tran…
Mgmt 110 Quiz 1
Exam 4-Lecture 6
Relu 2410 Exam 3