Upgrade to remove ads
Nutrition Chapter 10
Terms in this set (17)
what are three results of physical activity?
1. regulates energy-yielding nutrients
2. improves body composition
3. increases daily calorie allowance
what are 8 potential benefits of fitness?
1. improved body composition and adipose tissue distribution
2. improved bone density
3. enhanced resistance to colds and other infectious diseases
4. reduced risk of some types of cancers
5. improved circulation and lung function
6. reduced risk factors for cardiovascular disease
7. reduced risk and management of type 2 diabetes
8. reduced risk of gallbladder disease
what are the four components of fitness?
2. muscle strength
3. muscle endurance
4. cardiorespiratory endurance
what are the essentials of fitness for athletes?
1. muscle power
3. reaction time
4. muscle fatigue
what is hypertrophy?
what is atrophy?
what are two ways that aerobic training benefits the heart?
1. enhances efficiency, removes cellular wastes
2. cardiac output increases, stroke volume increases
what are the three energy systems?
1. the body's energy reservoir
2. anaerobic fuel system
3. aerobic fuel system
why is the body's energy reservoir useful?
high energy compounds trap and store energy in muscle fibers and is used for short bursts of intense energy
what is another term for the anaerobic fuel system? why?
the lactic acid system because it generates lactate
what is the aerobic fuel system dependent on?
what is EPOC?
EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) is the amount of oxygen needed after exercise has ended compared with the resting rate.
how is glucose drawn from the bloodstream?
by exercising muscles
what affects how long glucose supplies will last?
the duration of a physical activity as well as its intensity
what are two ways that consistent training affects glycogen use during activities?
1. muscles adapt to their work by storing the extra amounts of glycogen needed to support that work
2. trained muscles burn more fate than untrained muscles
____________ arises from anaerobic breakdown of glucose
true or false? lactate accumulation coincides with muscle fatigue
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Nutrition Chapter 14 pt 2
Nutrition Chapter 14
Nutrition Chapter 13: Pregnancy
Nutrition Chapter 9