Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Composition, rule of thirds, 180 degree rule, 4th wall rule
Terms in this set (20)
In photography, what are two main techniques of balance of an image within a frame?
When looking at a frame (monitor), you should mentally draw...
A horizontal line 1/3rd from the top of the frame and a horizontal line 1/3rd from the bottom of the frame. As well as a vertical line 1/3rd from the left edge of the frame and a vertical line 1/3rd from the right edge of frame.
In photography/cinematography, what is the rule of 3rds when pertaining to horizontal lines?
Strong horizontal lines, like a horizon, should be frames at the bottom 1/3rd or top 1/3rd of the frame.
You are photographing a flat field and sky, the horizontal line where the field meets the sky should be framed in the...
- Bottom 1/3rd of the frame
- Top 1/3rd of the frame
When you are framing a scene with double horizon lines, what should you do?
- Frame the top horizontal line at the top 1/3rd of the frame.
- Frame the bottom horizontal line at the bottom 1/3rd of the frame.
An "attention-grabbing" and "interesting" photograph should have at least _____ points of interest.
Subject points of interest in a properly balanced frame of a photograph will cause the eye of the viewer to move in a _____ pattern.
Positive space in a photo or video image is...
- Usually where the viewer's eye goes first.
- The main subject that commands attention in the composition.
Negative space in a photo or video image is...
- The space in the composition that is typically the background.
- The area mostly composed of blank or neutral space.
What three visual elements should you consider and utilize when framing a shot or photograph?
- Middle ground
When framing a shot or photograph, you should always place the camera...
In a position that will capture the most interesting angle that aids in telling the story.
If you want motion in a photograph to be blurry, you should adjust the camera in what way?
Set the shutter to a wider/slower setting
When you are framing a shot, you should set the framing the way you think you want it composed and then...
- Move the camera in and then out a little and see which position visually feels better
- Tilt the camera up a little and see if that visually feels better
- Tilt the camera down a little and see if that visually feels better
- Pan left a little and see if that visually feels better
- Pan right a little and see if that visually feels better
The 180-degree rule is a cinematography guideline which states that...
Two characters in a scene should maintain the same left/right relation to one another.
When the camera passes over the invisible axis (stage line) connecting the two subjects, it is called...
Crossing the line.
When the camera passes over the invisible axis (stage line) connecting the two subjects, it becomes what kind of shot?
A reverse angle
When you "cross the line" (with a cut for effect of a dolly move) you have established a new...
You have had the camera on the "A" (left) side of the stage line. There are two actors talking. You have shot a two master, an OTS dirty and an OTS clean. All of a sudden, a third actor enters through the door behind the camera. Both actors are surprised and look past the camera. How do you reestablish the stage line?
- Cut from the "A" (left) side to the "B" (right) side for effect/impact and see the third actor entering the room through the doorway, but you should not cut back to side "A" (left).
- Cut from the "A" (left) side to the "B" (right) side for effect/impact and see the third actor entering the room through the doorway, but now the best way to get the camera back to the "A" (left) side is a dolly shot.
The 4th wall is...
- The invisible plane between the audience and the actors in a theater presentation
- The invisible plane between the camera and the actors during filming
- The invisible plane between the actors and the audience watching a film
In a comedy film when an actor looks at the camera with a reaction, this is called...
Breaking the 4th wall.
Sets found in the same folder
Other sets by this creator
Other Quizlet sets
Duits lektion 6 zinnen NL-DU
Ch 16 AP
Week 1: Inleiding