Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
STUDY GUIDE SCIENCE GEOLOGIC TIME.
Terms in this set (17)
List the geologic time separations from largest time period to smallest time period
Eon, Era, Period, Epoch.
1. What are the three major eras of geologic time?
Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic.
What did scientists use to create the Geologic Time Scale? How did scientists use these things to create the time scale?
Fossil Evidence Where there were big Changes in the fossil record, they created new time Separations.
What is a mass extinction? List some causes for mass extinctions.
A mass extinction is when a large amount of living things die and go extinct.
3. Large climate changes.
List the 5 mass extinction events of Earth's history.
1. Ordovician-Silurian extinction
2. Late Devonian extinction
3. Permian-Triassic extinction
4. Triassic Jurassic extinction
5. Cretaceous-Paleogene extinction
List the 3 eons of Pre Cambrian time from oldest to youngest
1. Hadean - 4.6 billion years to 4 billion years.
2. Archean - 4 billion years to 2.5 billions years.
3. Proterozoic - 2.5 billions years to 542 million years.
List the 6 periods of the Paleozoic Era and the time of when it
Cambrian, Ordivician, Silvrian, Devonian, Cerbarite, Permian. 542 million years to 251 million years.
What is the Cambrian Explosion?
Where there was a large increase in species.
What are trilobites? What about trilobites allowed them to fossilize?
first organisms to have hard body parts. And Because of this they are more easily preserved in fossil record.
List the three major parts of the Paleozoic Era
1. Early ages. Age of Invertebrates. no life on land.
2. Middle Age of fishes. first vertebrates. first plants and life on land.
3. late Ages. Age of Amphibians, more life on land. reptiles a born.
Give a brief description of the Permian Mass Extinction
largest mass extinction. 95% life in water died. 70% life on land died.
1. large meteorite
2. increase of volcanic activity.
3. Formation of Pangea.
List the 3 periods of the Mesozoic Era
Lasted 251 million years to 66 million years.
Describe the causes for the mass extinction event that ended the Mesozoic Era (Cretaceous Mass Extinction Event).
1. Large Meteorite struck earth of yukata Peninsula
2. Excessive volcanic activity.
1. List the 2 periods of the Cenozoic Era. Also, list the 5 epochs in the first period and the two epochs that are in the later period.
What two mountain building events occurred because of continental-continental collision?
1. Asia and India = Himalayans
2. Africa and Europe=Alps.
What two mountain ranges formed as a result of the subduction of the Pacific Plate under North America?
1. Cascades: volcanic arc of subducting pacific plate.
2. Rockies: Stress of subduction pacific plate caused North America plate to buckle creating the mountains
1. What allowed Mega-Mammals to grow so large in the Cenozoic Era? What caused them to go extinct?
Flowering plants and grasses gave mammals a provided new food source.
Climate change and changes in the food source led to extinction of mega mammals.
Other sets by this creator
Latin Lesson 4
Science Weather Vocabulary
SCIENCE TEST VOCABULARY!
Science study guide for Plate tectonics
Other Quizlet sets
Biology DNA test
OT2 - Divided Kingdom