Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 11 Notes
Terms in this set (30)
__________ education is often referred to as schooling and it occurs in schools under teachers, principals, and other specially trained professionals.
_________ education may occur almost anywhere, but for young children it has traditionally occurred primarily in the home, with their parents as their instructors.
Only about _____ percent of colonial children, usually just the wealthiest, went to school, while others became apprentices
Compulsory education was demanded in the mid _________ and became widespread by the end of the century.
What was the purpose of compulsory education?
*Unify and teach immigrants American values
*Change from agricultural economy to industrial economy
Until the mid-_________, very few people went to college, and those who did typically came from fairly wealthy families.
What theme emerges from the history of schooling in the US?
formal schooling was restricted to wealthy males
After the ____________ __________, new textbooks helped standardize spelling and pronunciation and promote patriotism and religious beliefs, but these textbooks also included negative stereotypes of Native Americans.
More than 75 million people, almost ________ of the US population, attend school at all levels.
How many people are enrolled in grades pre-K through 8th grade?
How many people are enrolled in high school?
How many people are enrolled in college?
How many elementary and secondary school are people in the US attending?
How many colleges are people in the US attending?
How many teachers are teaching our students?
What percentage of high school graduates enroll in college the following fall?
What is educational attainment?
how far one gets in school
What affects educational attainment?
family income, race, and ethnicity
Why do African Americans and Latinos have lower educational attainment?
(a) underfunded and otherwise inadequate schools
(b) higher poverty and lower education of their parents
(c) racial discrimination
(d) poor neighborhoods
What 3 forms of racial discrimination impair educational attainment for colored children?
1. Tracking- they are more likely to be tracked "down" rather than "up,"
2. School discipline- they are more likely than white students to be suspended and expelled
3. Teachers' expectations- teachers have lower expectations for their African American and Latino students
What impact does poor neighborhoods have on educational attainment?
1. many adults in these neighborhoods are high school dropouts and/or unemployed
2. poor neighborhoods tend to be racially and ethnically segregated. Latino children in these neighborhoods are less likely to speak English well African American children are more likely to speak "black English"
3. poor neighborhoods have higher rates of violence and other deviant behaviors than wealthier neighborhoods
4. poor neighborhoods are more likely to have environmental problems such as air pollution and toxic levels of lead paint; these problems lead to asthma and other health problems among children
________________ are more likely than ______________ to graduate high school, to attend college after high school graduation, and to obtain a degree after starting college
Women now earn more than _________ percent of all bachelor's degrees, up from just 35 percent in 1960.
What does the fact that the US is a credential society mean?
*High school diploma is a requirement for most jobs
*College degree is a requirement for the best jobs
Why do people with higher levels of education die later in life than those with lower levels of education?
*Highly educated individuals are less likely to smoke and engage in unhealthy activities
*They eat healthier and exercise
*They have quality health care
What is the US high school completion rank and rate?
Rank 21; 76% Graduation rate
What nations have a high school graduation rate of at least 90%?
Finland, Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom
The United States high school graduation completion rate ranks only ________________ out of sixteen of the world's wealthiest nations.
According to OECD data on proficiency in mathematics, reading, and science among 15-year-olds, the US ranks...
*at average for reading and science
*below average in math
To combat the low ranking educational system in the 1970s, what changes did Finland have to make?
1. Raised teachers' salaries & required them too have a 3yr masters
2. Changed curriculum to critical thinking based learning, eliminated standardized testing, and eliminated academic tracking before 10th grade
3. Built More schools
Other sets by this creator
SOCW 1002: Ch. 3 Social Values and Social Welfare
SOCW 1001: Ch. 3 Education for Social Work
SOCW 1002: Ch. 2 Social Values and Social Welfare
SOCW 1001: Ch. 2 The Evolution of Social Welfare a…
Other Quizlet sets
Medical Assisting - Chapter 47 & 48