Upgrade to remove ads
1. Domestication of cattle, micro-evolutionary consequences, related species, inter-species hybrids
Terms in this set (17)
What class does cattle belong to?
What order does cattle belong to?
What suborder does cattle belong to?
What family does cattle belong to?
What species does cattle belong to?
~ 8 millenium BC , Southern Caucasus
When and where was the cow domesticated?
- Bos primigenius taurus - Taurine
- Bos primigenius - Zebu
- Bos gaurus - Indian bison
- Bos javanicus - South East Asia
- Bali cattle
Name related species
- Bison (buffalo) x Yak → Yakalo
- Domesticated cattle x European bison → Zubron
- Common bos x Bison → Beefalo (vary in color)
Name interspecies hybrids
- Native to Tibet and Mongolia
- Used for milk, meat, wool and skin
What can you tell about the Yak?
- Aleutian wild cattle
- Chillingham cattle
- Enderby Island cattle
- Ushuaia Wild Cattle
Name feral cattle species
Bison (there are only two existing species):
- B. Bison (American bison)
- B. Bonasus (European bison)
Name wild species of cattle
Meat, wool, dairy
What were bison's used for?
- Asian water buffalo = 48
- River buffalo = 50
Which species have variable chromosome numbers?
Proven adult, fertile
What is the definition of a bull?
Adult female that had at least one calf
What is the definition of a cow?
Mother of an animal (used in dairy breeding)
What is the definition of a dam?
- Bull calf
- Heifer calf
- Weaners (up to 1yr)
Definitions of young cattle?
This set is often in folders with...
2. Main reproduction features, reproduction traits…
3. Most important bovine genetic diseases, breedin…
4. Breeding goals and characteristics (traits) of…
5. Dairy cattle technologies
Other sets by this creator
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…
9. Breeding turkey (breeding goal, use,…