Upgrade to remove ads
7. Estimation of breeding value in dairy cattle production
Terms in this set (10)
Certain literature contains data that may be used for this purpose
How can you calculate value of a breeding animal?
- (Lifetime) Milk, fat and protein yield
- Fat, protein and lactose
- Somatic cell score
- Productive life
What are the dairy traits?
Stature, strength, body, feet and udder features
Name the conformational traits
Udder attachment, udder depth, udder width, udder cleft, teat, placement, teat length
What does "udder features" mean?
Dry matter intake, body condition score, energy balance, incidence of mastitis, ketosis, retained placenta, metritis etc...
What to check for when it comes to health, fitness and metabolism?
Age at first calving, calving interval, number of inseminations, days to first and last calving, interval of first luteal activity
Name some reproductive traits for dairy cattle
A complex type of breeding value established for more traits simultaneously, which is achieved upon the base of a linear combination of declared valuable traits in the breeding goal.
What is aggregated breeding value ?
Animals can be genoyped for 1000s single nucleotides polymorphisms
What is genomial breeding value?
By summing the estimated effects for that genotype
Given an animal and their genotype, how is a 'genomic' estimated breeding value obtained?
At birth, it has a high accuracy and improves genetic factors
When can genomial breeding value be calculated?
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
1. Domestication of cattle, micro-evolutionary con…
2. Main reproduction features, reproduction traits…
3. Most important bovine genetic diseases, breedin…
4. Breeding goals and characteristics (traits) of…
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…
9. Breeding turkey (breeding goal, use,…
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Animal Anatomy~ Urinary (Part 4)
The Jeffersonian Era
First Aid Final (study guide)