Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
EDMM 1500 Quiz 10
Terms in this set (10)
Electron Beam Melting (EBAM)
Take the orginal CAD file and slice it into layers. We then stack these layers in the z direction and see that thousands of layers together form a object
Laser Beam Machining (LBM)
- Has heat affected zone and recast layers that may require removal
- What is a Laser?: Is an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation effectively. Basically just a focus beam of light
Water Jet Cutting
The key to water jets is to keep the spray focused to a fine point. Water jets are able to cut because the spray is channeled through a very narrow jeweled nozzle at very high pressure
EX.) The water presure at home us around 70psi compared to a water jet is around 60,000psi
Electrochemical Machining (ECM)
- ECM is an extremely advanced and accurate metal working technique based on electrolysis
- The machine used to produce a product via ECM is called an electrode or a cathode
- ECM through the use of electricity and chemistry, metal is machined in a non-conventional manner in which the metal is quickly and accurately eroded to produce the desired 3-D part
Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)
Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is one of the most widely used non-traditional machining processes. The main attraction of EDM over traditional machining processes such as metal cutting using different tools and grinding is that this technique utilises thermoelectric process to erode undesired materials from the work piece by a series of discrete electrical sparks between the work piece and the electrode.
Advantages of EDM
The main advantages of DM are:
• By this process, materials of any hardness can be machined;
• No burrs are left in machined surface;
• One of the main advantages of this process is that thin and fragile/brittle components can be machined without distortion;
• Complex internal shapes can be machined
Limitations of EDM
The main limitations of this process are:
• This process can only be employed in electrically conductive materials;
• Material removal rate is low and the process overall is slow compared to conventional machining processes;
• Unwanted erosion and over cutting of material can occur;
• Rough surface finish when at high rates of material removal
Dielectric fluids used in EDM process are hydrocarbon oils, kerosene and deionised water. The functions of the dielectric fluid are to:
• Act as an insulator between the tool and the workpiece.
• Act as coolant.
• Act as a flushing medium for the removal of the chips.
type of chemical machining in which shallow cavities are produced on plates, sheets, forgings, and extrusions
Steps in chemical milling
• Residual stress relieving: If the part to be machined has residual stresses from the previous processing, these stresses first should be relieved in order to prevent warping after chemical milling.
• Preparing: The surfaces are degreased and cleaned thoroughly to ensure both good adhesion of the masking material and the uniform material removal.
• Masking: Masking material is applied (coating or protecting areas not to be etched).
• Etching: The exposed surfaces are machined chemically with etchants.
• Demasking: After machining, the parts should be washed thoroughly to prevent further reactions with or exposure to any etchant residues. Then the rest of the masking material is removed and the part is cleaned and inspected
Other sets by this creator
MUS 3500 Final Exam
EDMM 1500 Quiz #9
MUS 3500 Midterm Exam
EDMM 1500 Quiz 1
Midwest Power and Light operates 14 coal-fired power plants in several states around the United States. The company recently settled a lawsuit by agreeing to pay $60 million in mitigation costs related to acid rain. The settlement included$21 million to reduce emissions from barges and trucks in the Ohio River Valley, $24 million for projects to conserve energy and produce alternative energy,$3 million for Chesapeake Bay, $2 million for Shenandoah National Park, and$10 million to acquire ecologically sensitive lands in Appalachia. The question of how to distribute the money over time has been posed. Plan A involves spending $5 million now and the remaining$55 million equally over a 10-year period (that is, $5.5 million in each of years 1 through 10). Plan B requires expenditures of$5 million now, $25 million 2 years from now, and$30 million 7 years from now. Determine which plan is more economical on the basis of a present worth analysis over a 10-year period at an interest rate of 10% per year.
With respect to right-handed Cartesian coordinates, let a=[2, 1, 0], b=[-3, 2, 0], c=[1, 4, -2], and d=[5, -1, 3]. Showing details, find: 4b*3c+12c*b
What direction is the net energy transfer by work for a power cycle: in or out? The net energy transfer by heat?
Design an op amp-based low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 2500 Hz and a passband gain of 5 using a 10 nF capacitor. a) Draw your circuit, labeling the component values and output voltage. b) If the value of the feedback resistor in the filter is changed but the value of the resistor in the forward path is unchanged, what characteristic of the filter is changed?
Other Quizlet sets
Modern World History - Midyear Review - Enlightenm…
Chapter 18 Accounting Vocabulary
Chapter 5 -- Industry Evolution and strategic chan…