Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (30)
1. In the campaign catchphrase, "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", who is Tippecanoe referring to?
William henry harrison
2. Which President did not have the support of his political party?
3. What was the main reason Americans approved of Western expansion?
The desire for more land
4. The Mexican land grants of 1821-23 said American settlers living in Mexico must follow which two rules?
Obey mexican laws and practice roman catholicism
5. Texans won their independence from Mexico at which famous battle?
Battle of san jacinto
6. Who was elected President of the Republic of Texas?
7. Why did many Presidents avoid annexing Texas?
It would ignite the slavery issue
8. Describe the Caroline incident.
American steamphing carrying supplied on the niagara river attacked by the british
9. What started the Aroostook War?
A fight over the northern boundary of maine
10. The Oregon Treaty between the US and Great Britain set the northern boundary of the US at
11. Describe the goals Polk had as President.
Settle the boundary of oregon
Gain california from mexico
12. Which armed conflict between Americans and Mexicans caused President Polk to say, "American blood has been shed on American soil."?
13. What does the phrase "Spot Resolutions" refer to?
Lincoln's demand to know the exact spot where american blood had been shed
14. What was the Wilmot Proviso?
Said that slavery would be banned from all terriotires taken from mexico
15. Which Battle was the first large scale water assault conducted by the US Military Forces?
The battle of veracruz
16. Which American General invaded central Mexico and eventually took Mexico City?
General winfield scott
17. What were the terms of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo?
The US had to pay 15 million dollars to acquire northern Mexico
18. What was the largest single addition to the United States?
The mexico cession
19. Where was the Aroostook War?
20. Who was the Northern Whig who was against war with Mexico?
21. Describe the Oregon Trail.
The 2000 mile long path americans used to make the journey west in the 1840s
22. What was the significance of the Nueces River?
Location the mexican government claimed as the southern border of texas
23. Who established the Bear Flag Republic?
John c fremont
24. Which American General had victories in New Mexico?
25. Describe the Creole incident?
British tried to offer asylum to virginia slaves who captured an american ship
26. What was the Ostend Manifesto?
Offer by president polk purchase cuba from spain for 10 million dollars
27. The US claimed which river was the border between Texas and Mexico?
The Rio grande
28. What was the Gadsden Purchase?
Mexico agreed to sell a strip of land to the united states so they could build a railroad
29. What event started in 1848 at Sutter's Mill?
The 1848 gold rush
30. Which artist painted "American Progress"?
Other sets by this creator
Religious faiths can be analyzed by two major social characteristics. What are those characteristics?
Physical strength is not as important for males today as it was in past times. The nature of work has changed so that not as many jobs require stamina or physical strength. What impact do you think this devaluing of muscle strength has on society? List five attitudes or values that could be affected.
What is the most important master status you have held? Has the master status helped or hindered you? What master status would you like to achieve? Why?
Current research says that religion often reflects conventional (traditional) norms. Accordingly, religious clergy tend to address their messages to the more traditional segments of society. Sermons, for example, are aimed at the typical married family arrangement (mother, father, two children). What effect, if any, do you think this could have on general attendance?
Other Quizlet sets
Week 1: Disorientation, Delirium, Dementia, Depres…
History of Illustration/Design Jekel Final 2021
4.6 pgs 5-6
Period 7 Points