5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sojourner Truth
- Internal Improvements
- The American System
- War of 1812
- Louisiana Purchase
- a a home-market system developed by Henry Clay that had a strong banking system, a protective tariff, and a network of roads and canals
- b Resulted from Britain's support of Indian hostilities along the frontier, interference with American trade, and impressments of American sailors into the British army
- c The U.S., under Jefferson, bought the Louisiana territory from France, under the rule of Napoleon. The U.S. paid $15 million for the Louisiana Purchase, and Napoleon gave up his empire in North America. The U.S. gained control of Mississippi trade route and doubled its size.
- d The program for building roads, canals, bridges, and railroads in and between the states. There was a dispute over whether the federal government should fund ____, since it was not specifically given that power by the Constitution.
- e American abolitionist and feminist. Escaped from slavery to become a leading preacher against slavery and for the rights of women.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Terms of President James Monroe in which Democratic-Republicans were only political party, and people therefore assumed that political discord had evaporated
- ___ argues for sanctity of Union- states created Union and have right to nullify, state supremacy. ____ argues that states have bond w/ fed govt that nullification or secession can't break
- chief justice of the supreme court who declared the Missouri compromise unconstitutional. Court generally reflected Jacksonian democracy and Marshall's Court
- After ____ lost to ___ as a Republican, he switched to the Federalist party and ran for governor of
NY. When he lost, he blamed ___ (a successful Federalist politician) of making defamatory
remarks that cost him the election. He challenged him to a duel... and killed him :O
- Jefferson's election changed the direction of the government from Federalist to Democratic- Republican, so it was called a "revolution."
5 True/False questions
Bank War → Jackson vs. Bank & Biddle; Jackson begins taking out funds and putting them into pet banks, successfully "killing" the bank; leads to fluctuation in economy and eventual panic
Macon's Bill #2 → Forbade further colonization in the Americas and declared that any attempt by a foreign country to colonize would be considered an act of hostility
Election of 1824 → John Quincy Adams won after Henry Clay gave his support to Adams, securing his Presidency. When Adams appointed Clay as his secretary of state, Jackson's supporters raged that a corrupt bargain had cheated Jackson of presidency.
Panic of 1819 → Economic panic caused by extensive speculation and a decline of European demand for American goods along with mismanagement within the Second Bank of the United States. Often cited as the end of the Era of Good Feelings.
Judicial Review → the power of the Supreme Court to declare laws and actions of local, state, or national governments unconstitutional