5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Election of 1840
- Roger Taney
- Bank War
- Orders in Council
- Louisiana Purchase
- a The U.S., under Jefferson, bought the Louisiana territory from France, under the rule of Napoleon. The U.S. paid $15 million for the Louisiana Purchase, and Napoleon gave up his empire in North America. The U.S. gained control of Mississippi trade route and doubled its size.
- b chief justice of the supreme court who declared the Missouri compromise unconstitutional. Court generally reflected Jacksonian democracy and Marshall's Court
- c Britain blockaded the ports of France and its allies, thereby preventing neutral nations from trading with these nations
- d Whigs united, borrowing campaign tactics from the Democrats and inventing many of their own. Resulted in Whig victory and a truly national two-party system.
- e Jackson vs. Bank & Biddle; Jackson begins taking out funds and putting them into pet banks, successfully "killing" the bank; leads to fluctuation in economy and eventual panic
5 Multiple choice questions
- Persuaded Congress to accept the Missouri Compromise, which admitted Maine into the Union as a free state, and Missouri as a slave state
- After ____ lost to ___ as a Republican, he switched to the Federalist party and ran for governor of
NY. When he lost, he blamed ___ (a successful Federalist politician) of making defamatory
remarks that cost him the election. He challenged him to a duel... and killed him :O
- The idea of spreading political power to the people and ensuring majority rule.
- Economic panic caused by extensive speculation and a decline of European demand for American goods along with mismanagement within the Second Bank of the United States. Often cited as the end of the Era of Good Feelings.
- Designed to discourage the British and the French from interfering with US commerce, by bribing either the England or France in repealing their restrictions on neutral shipping; who ever obliged, the US would halt all commerce with the other nation.
5 True/False questions
Era of Good Feelings → Ended the War of 1812 and maintained prewar conditions
Results of War of 1812 → Resulted from Britain's support of Indian hostilities along the frontier, interference with American trade, and impressments of American sailors into the British army
Marbury v. Madison → Establishes the Supreme Court's power of Judicial Review
Revolution of 1800 → Jefferson's election changed the direction of the government from Federalist to Democratic- Republican, so it was called a "revolution."
Election of 1824 → Adams, Jefferson, and Burr: Adams lost, Jefferson and Burr tied, Hamilton convinced other Federalists to vote for Jefferson to break the tie. Led to 12th Amendment: Required electoral college to vote separately for Pres and VP