5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Election of 1800
- Election of 1840
- Sojourner Truth
- The Maysville Veto
- Roger Taney
- a American abolitionist and feminist. Escaped from slavery to become a leading preacher against slavery and for the rights of women.
- b Adams, Jefferson, and Burr: Adams lost, Jefferson and Burr tied, Hamilton convinced other Federalists to vote for Jefferson to break the tie. Led to 12th Amendment: Required electoral college to vote separately for Pres and VP
- c Jackson vetoed the bill, said that if improvements were made without an amendment, they must be national projects
- d chief justice of the supreme court who declared the Missouri compromise unconstitutional. Court generally reflected Jacksonian democracy and Marshall's Court
- e Whigs united, borrowing campaign tactics from the Democrats and inventing many of their own. Resulted in Whig victory and a truly national two-party system.
5 Multiple choice questions
- United States abolitionist who escaped from slavery and became an influential writer and lecturer in the North
- The program for building roads, canals, bridges, and railroads in and between the states. There was a dispute over whether the federal government should fund ____, since it was not specifically given that power by the Constitution.
- Terms of President James Monroe in which Democratic-Republicans were only political party, and people therefore assumed that political discord had evaporated
- Influential abolitionist that fought against slavery for moral reasons. Argued for immediate and complete emancipation of all slaves and founded The Liberator
- A convention of New England merchants who opposed the Embargo and the War of 1812. They proposed some Amendments to the Constitution and advocated the right of states to nullify federal laws. Discussed secession!
5 True/False questions
Louisiana Purchase → created the precedent of judicial review; ruled on many early decisions that gave the federal government more power, especially the supreme court
Jacksonian democracy → Forbade further colonization in the Americas and declared that any attempt by a foreign country to colonize would be considered an act of hostility
Protective Tariff → chief justice of the supreme court who declared the Missouri compromise unconstitutional. Court generally reflected Jacksonian democracy and Marshall's Court
Bank War → Argued that Tariff of 1828 was unconstitutional. Advocated nullification- theory that US could invalidate any unconstitutional law. Thought states were sovereign.
Marbury v. Madison → A convention of New England merchants who opposed the Embargo and the War of 1812. They proposed some Amendments to the Constitution and advocated the right of states to nullify federal laws. Discussed secession!