Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
BIO Final: Practice Questions
Terms in this set (22)
What is resource partitioning?
A. ability to coexist despite sharing limiting resources
B. a competitor interferes with another competitor's access to a resource
C. one competitor is more efficient in using a resource than another
D. changes due to selection pressures from interspecific competition allow species to coexist
How much energy is transferred from one trophic level to the next?
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the Four Major Types of species interactions?
e. They are all correct
2. Which of the following is a good example of Amensalism?
a. Elephants crushing ants as they walk
b. A bird cleaning and alligator's teeth
c. Bacteria fixing nitrogen for plants
d. Resource partitioning between owls and hawks
e.Mosquito bites on humans
3. A hoverfly is harmless, yet it looks and acts like a bee that stings. This best fits with the prey defense called:
b. Mullerian mimic
d. Batesian mimic
What is it called when a benign, edible species closely resembles a dangerous, toxic species?
The carbon cycle is being altered by human activities resulting in _
a. Climate Change
b. Fossil Fuels
c. Atmospheric Pressure
d. Decrease of CO2
1) What does the term crypsis mean?
a. when a species resembles objects that their predators consider inedible
b. when a species stops moving when they are being pursued by a predator
c. when a species changes colors to blend in with their environment to hide from predators
d.the adaptations a species has to hide from its predators
2) Which is NOT a type of dispersion?
a. regular or uniform dispersion
b. random dispersion
c. diverse dispersion
1. Which of the following ecosystem services discusses products such as food, clean water, timber , and fiber?
1. Which of the following defines a limiting resource?
a. Ability to coexist despite sharing resources
b. If one species prevents another species from using essential resources
c. A resource that is in short supply
d. A species that exerts influence on a community
Which of the following is FALSE regarding why only 10% of energy of one trophic level is transferred to the next?
A) Heat Loss
B) Biomass Availability
2) Which of the following describes a relationship where one species is unaffected, and the other species is harmed (elephant stomping on an insect)?
In addition to such localized movements, __________ movements can be key adaptations to climatic challenges. (ch. 52, pg 1126)
a. Long distance
b. Higher altitude
d. None of the above
Although ecologists find it useful to group interactions among species into a few basic categories, the boundaries between categories are not always: (ch. 54, pg 1171)
1. What is it called when fragmentation exposes species in a fragment, to many potential hazards?
a. Intertidal zone
b. Behavioral mechanisms
c. Edge effect
d. Albedo effect
2. What is Batesian mimicry?
a. A nontoxic species resembles a toxic species
b. Aposematic species converge on a common color pattern
c. A predator strategy
d.Chemical defenses in small organisms
1. Which of the following is not one of the three main factors that affect population dynamics?
b. Biological Interactions
d. The physical environment
2. Which of the following is a group of species that use similar resources?
a. Functional Group
c. Food Chain
1. What type of interaction is it called when one species benefits, while the other is unaffected?
Which type of succession occurs following disturbances in which some organisms survive?
A. Primary succession
B. Secondary succession
C. Directional succession
D. Tertiary succession
2. Hysteresis is when...
The community is unable to shift back to its state even when the original conditions have returned
A species is removed from an ecosystem and it causes a rapid imbalance
The community is able to return to its original state even though the original condition has not returned
A species is added to the community and causes no major changes
Other sets by this creator
Bio Exam 4: Root Words
BIO II: Exam 3 Study
BIO II EXAM 3: ROOTS
Biology II Exam 2
Other Quizlet sets
pulm rehab & sub final
Nonopioids, local anesthetics, Neuromuscular block…
Managerial accounting test 2
Leadership Exam #2- Preceptors and Mentors