Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
PHARM TEST #4 - WOMEN'S HEALTH
Terms in this set (20)
What are the 2 types of pharm tx in women with menorrhagia who want to be on contraceptives?
1) Levonorgestrel IUD
2) Estrogen-Progestin Contraceptive
What is the 1st line class of drugs used in the pharm tx for severe, sometimes disabling extension of premenstural syndrome (PMDD)?
What is the permanent contraception that is inserted into the fallopian tube?
-stimulates tissue growth to occlude fallopian tube + permenantly block egg transport
What 2 contraceptives contain drospirenone?
1) Yaz - 24days
2) Yasmin - 21 days
What are serious adverse effects of combined hormonal contraceptives?
1) Abdominal Pain
2) Chest Pain
3) Severe HA
4) Blurred Vision
5) Severe Leg Pain ± Swelling
Other: nausea, breakthrough bleeding, acne
Which homornal contraceptives have extended regimens of 3 months & 1 year?
3 months = Seasonale + Seasonique
1 year = Lybrel
What are the 2 hormones found in the transdermal patch?
20mcg Ethinyl Estradiol
What are the 2 hormones found in the vaginal ring?
15mcg Ethinyl Estradiol
Which type of emergency contraceptive is a progesterone modulator?
Ulipristal Acetate (UPA)
Which type of contraceptive is hormone free?
ParaGard = Copper-T IUD
What is the synthetic androgen used in tx of endometriosis?
- synthetic androgen prevents midcycle FSH + LH release in ovary
What are the 2 drug classes used in the tx of endometriosis that their long term use can acclerate bone loss?
1) GnRH Agonists
2) Aromatase Inhibitors
What is the MOA of Danazol?
- inhibits enzymes involved in steroid formation
- decreases release of gonadotropin
What are the adverse effects of oxytocin? (3)
1) Uterine Rupture
2) Uteroplacental Hypoperfusion
3) Fetal Distress from Hypoxia
What is the name of the prostaglandin used in the induction of labor?
(vaginal gel/insert applied to cervix)
What is the 1st line therapy used for tx of eclampsia?
What is the beta agonist used as tocolytic therapy?
What are the benefits of estrogen in hormone replacement therapy?
1) Relieves GU atrophy (shrinkage) + Vasomotor Sx (hot flashes)
2) Reduces Osteoporosis risk + insomnia + fatigue/mood changes + sexual function
What are the benefits of progestin in hormone replacement therapy?
1) Decreased ↓ Risk of Estrogen Induced Irregular Bleeding + Endometrial Hyperplasia + Carcinoma
2) Protection against Breast Carcinoma
3) Enhancement of Estrogen Prophylaxis of Osteoporosis
What is the MOA of aromatase inhibitors?
Blocks conversion of androgens to estrogen, which decreases endometrial proliferation
Drugs = Letrozole, Anastrozole
Sets found in the same folder
PHARM TEST #4 - EM/SURG
PHARM TEST #4 = BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Other sets by this creator
PEDS EOR - CARDIO
PEDS EOR - PULM
PEDS EOR - INFECTIOUS DISEASE
PEDS EOR: ENT/OPTHALMOLOGY
Other Quizlet sets
DAT Prep Chapter 11.3: Human Immune System
Quiz 2 Terms