Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
1. Origin and domestication of different poultry species, micro- evolutionary consequences, importance of meat and egg production of different poultry species in human nutrition
Terms in this set (18)
From red jungle fowl in India ~2500 BC and China ~5400 B.C
When was the chicken domesticated?
From wild turkey in Mexico, ~1000 B.C
When was the Turkey domesticated?
Duck: From Mallard duck in Asia ~2500 B.C
Muscovy Duck: Columbia and Peru ~700 B.C
When was the duck and Muscovy duck domesticated?
From Greyag goose and Swan goose in Asia
Where was the goose domesticated?
From rocky pigeon of Mediterranean and North African region
From where was the pigeon domesticated?
From Japanese wild quail, in the 11th century from Japan, China, Europe
When and where was the quail domesticated?
Where is the Ostrich coming from?
Originated in Africa, domesticated in Greek civilization
Where is the guinea fowl from?
Where is the Pea fowl and Swan from?
Originated in Asia, captive in Greek civilazation
When and where was the pheasant domesticated?
- Cock: Adult male
- Cockrel: Young male (< 1 yr)
- Capon: Castrated male
- Hen: Adult female (> 1 year)
- Pullet: Female <1 year
What are the termonology for the different birds?
- Symbol in religions and superstitions
- In decorative arts
What is the cultural use of birds?
Chickens outnumber humans 2.5:1 with a population of 17 billion worldwide.
How many chickens exist?
Food source: Meat and eggs are cosnumed
What are chickens primarily kept as?
Eggs are very nutriotional: If you make one portion of omelet, containing two eggs, you get a high amount of protein, vitamin A, B2, B12, D, E and iron
Why are chickens so important in human nutrition?
- Increased size and weight
- Different plumage types, colors and patterns
- Breast hypertrophy and changes in limb musculature
- Fat deposition
- Change in brain size and behaviour
- Fertility: Changes in egg production and egg number
What are the consequences of domestication?
- It is a well known broiler and it is recognized worldwide
- Gives consistent performance in the broiler house
- Produce a high number of eggs
- Grows rapidly
- Slaughtered at 6-9 weeks
What is Ross 308?
- Chicken meat: 56 600 tons
- Duck: 2768 tons
- Goose: 1908 tonn
- Turkey: 4745 tonn
- Total meat: 66039 tonn
What was the total meat production in year 2000?
Sets found in the same folder
2. Most common genetic diseases of poultry species…
3. Main reproduction features of poultry species,…
4. The layer hen type (breeding goal, us…
5. Layer hen hybridization for consumer's egg, egg…
Other sets by this creator
Bacteriology practical 1
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…