Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
2. Most common genetic diseases of poultry species, defects as conformation traits
Terms in this set (10)
Sticky embryo, embryo malformation
What characterizes Embryonic loss, mortality due to embryonic lethal mutations?
Uneven growth of bones
What is chondrodystrophy?
Really short legs
What is creepers?
They have more toes than normal, it is found in Sultan, Dorking, Faverolle
What happens if a chicken is polydactylous?
Chickens are wingless, limbless, embryonic blood- ring, neurological lethal, missing maxilla/ mandible.
What happens if embryonic lethal disease occur?
Congenital tremors, ataxia, albinism, blindness, leg deformation,
abnormal beak formation
Which diseases may occur around hatching?
Cardiomyopathy, stress syndrome: muscular dystrophy, PSE meat in turkey, aorta rupture in turkey
Which adult disorders may occur?
Red, tender, hot and swollen joint. Disease due to persistently elevated levels of uric acid in the blood.
What is gout?
It is partly due to genetics, contributing to about 60% variability in uric acid level.
- Loss-of- function mutation in SLC2A9 cause low blood uric acid levels by reducing urate absorption.
Why does poultry get gout?
Inherited disorder causing growth delays prior to birth → lower birth weight, later a shorter stature. Rare disorder that is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. Chromosomal.
What is dwarfism- seckel syndrome?
Recommended textbook explanations
Campbell Biology (AP Edition)
Cain, Jackson, Minorsky, Reece, Urry, Wasserman
Principles of Life
David E. Sadava, David M. Hillis, H. Craig Heller
Biocalculus: Calculus for the Life Sciences
Fundamentals of Biochemistry
Charlotte W. Pratt, Donald Voet, Judith G. Voet
Sets found in the same folder
1. Origin and domestication of different…
3. Main reproduction features of poultry species,…
4. The layer hen type (breeding goal, us…
5. Layer hen hybridization for consumer's egg, egg…
Other sets by this creator
Bacteriology practical 1
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…
Other Quizlet sets
Nature & Environment - WWF
French speaking answers
The Ear: The Ear and the Auditory System and the V…
BLAW EXAM 2