Upgrade to remove ads
Solar and Wind
Terms in this set (16)
From lecture, where in North Carolina would you find the best places to produce wind power?
The design of a wind energy industry in the Appalachian Mountains is common among western North Carolinians.
What type of solar energy was used by the ancient cliff dwellers in Mesa Verde?
What are some ways you could employ active solar in a home you are designing?
Building a flat plate solar collector: dark-colored, heat-absorbing metal plates mounted on rooftops
What is concentrated solar power and how does it work?
technologies that concentrate solar energy to generate electricity
What is the difference between centralized and decentralized electricity production? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Decentralized electricity markets have little coordination ahead of delivery, while centralized electricity markets could be coordinated by a market operator long before delivery
What is a photovoltaic cell? What is a photovoltaic panel? What function does a photovoltaic panel serve?
Photovoltaic cell- a semiconductor device that converts solar radiation into DC current. Photovoltaic panel
Describe how modern wind turbines generate electricity.
Wind turbine is a device that convert wind's kinetic energy into electric energy.The wind blowing into a turbine turns the blades of the rotor
The nacelle contains the generator
Wind farms: may contain hundreds of turbines
What factors increase the potential output of a wind turbine?
wind speed, air density, and blade radius. Wind turbines need to be in areas with a lot of wind on a regular basis, which is more important than having occasional high winds.
What are the obstacles in shifting towards wind energy?
Wind turbines must be spaced out evenly across farms, which means they cannot be tucked into small spaces
What is meant by "NIMBY syndrome"?
Not In My Back Yard
It is opposition by residents to proposed developments in their local area, as well as support for strict land use regulation
What is a wind farm?
consist of numerous large wind turbines operating together to produce electricity
What is the benefits and drawbacks of offshore wind farms?
· Wind speeds greater over water than over land
· less air turbulence over water
· more power is produced therefore more profitable
· Costs to erect and maintain turbines in water are higher
· Currently, turbines are limited to shallow water
What factors affect where we place wind turbines?
best places for wind farms are in coastal areas, at the tops of rounded hills, open plains and gaps in mountains - places where the wind is strong and reliable
What country has the greatest percentage of its power produced by wind power? What state in the United States utilizes the most wind power? What are the advantages and disadvantages of wind energy?
Denmark gets the greatest percentage of its energy from wind power. Texas generates the most wind power in the U.S.
· Wind produces no emissions once installed
· It is more efficient than conventional power sources
· Turbines use less water than conventional power plants
· Local areas can become more self-sufficient
· Farmers and ranchers can lease their land
· Advancing technology is also reducing the cost of wind farm construction
· Wind varies from time to time and place to place
· Wind sources are not always near population centers that need energy
· Local residents often oppose them
· Turbines threaten birds and bats, which are killed when they fly into rotating blades
Define geothermal energy and ways in which it is obtained and used.
Thermal energy from beneath Earth's surface and it is obtained from drilling 1 or 2 miles deep into the Earth to pump steam or hot water to the surface. When the water reaches the surface, the pressure is dropped, which causes the water to turn into steam. Then the steam spins a turbine, which is connected to a generator that produces electricity
Describe the ways tidal energy can be used to generate electricity. What are the potential advantages and drawbacks.
Tidal energy is Kinetic energy from the natural motion of ocean water can generate electrical power by placing dams cross the outlets of tidal basin.
· Tides are easily predictable.
· Inexpensive to maintain.
· Reliable and renewable source of energy.
· High energy density than other renewable energy forms.
· It produces no greenhouse gases or other waste
· High tidal power plant construction costs.
· Negative influence on marine life forms.
· Location limits.
· The variable intensity of sea waves.
This set is often in folders with...
Other sets by this creator
Music Midterm Review Fall
Other Quizlet sets
MKTG373 - Chapter 4
Anesthesia Equipment and Calculations