Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
3. Main reproduction features of poultry species, puberty, breeding maturity, biology of egg production, broodiness and moulting/ forced moulting
Terms in this set (25)
Hens: 16 weeks
Males: 24 -26 weeks
When do turkey hens and males reach puberty?
At 4-6 months
When does pigeons hit puberty?
When 50% are laying
When does chickens reach puberty and laying maturity?
At 8 months
When does turkey and pigeons reach laying maturity?
At 9 months
How is the laying maturity of the goose?
2-4 weeks after puberty
How is the laying maturity of the duck?
How is laying performance for goose?
How is the laying performance of ducks?
2 eggs are layed with 40 hrs difference in 34 days intervals
How is the laying performance of pigeons?
What is the duration of laying period of chicken?
5 months (20 weeks)
What is the duration of laying period of turkey?
What is the duration of laying period for goose?
What is the duration of laying period for the duck?
5-6 brood cycles pr year
What is the duration of laying period of pigeons?
Turkey and goose
In which two breeds are hatchability very important?
Ducks and pigeons
In which two breeds are hatch ability about 90%?
About 70-90 grams
How much is the egg weight of turkey and duck?
What is the weight of a chicken egg?
What is the weight of a goose egg?
The incubation and protection of a clutch of eggs.
Maintenance of nest temp and humidity of mother hen in order to have the chicks to grow up properly
What is brooding?
- Feed intake: The main cause of weaker performance
- Air quality has to meet requirements
- Light - the brooding area should be bright
- Temp- not too warm or too cold
How to keep brooding faultless?
- Laying performance is good= 0.15-0.25
- Absolute egg production= >300 is an excellent layer
- In second year of production the egg size increases
How is the laying performance and egg production?
- Clutch size
- Breed specific
- Larger intensity
What factors are checked when looking at intensity of laying?
When chickens seem to loose very little in the feather department
What is a soft molt?
Leaves the hen looking like it's been through a chicken plucker
What is a hard molt?
Sets found in the same folder
1. Origin and domestication of different…
2. Most common genetic diseases of poultry species…
4. The layer hen type (breeding goal, us…
5. Layer hen hybridization for consumer's egg, egg…
Other sets by this creator
Bacteriology practical 1
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…