Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
8. Poultry production systems and technologies (large unit, traditional, alternative, get-away)
Terms in this set (11)
Breeding egg (60g) --> Day old chicks --> Broilers --> Slaughter weight 2 kg
(Single phase system in large units)
Summarize broiler production
At 5-6 weeks old (2kg)
When are broilers ready for slaughter?
Temperature, humidity, ventilation, lighting (intermittent, alternating lighting systems), automatic feeders/ water tanks
Broilers live in a controlled environment, what is some of the factors being controlled?
Backyard, open garden farming with indoor housing and a fence around area
How is traditional broiler framing?
Free range and barn.
- These include free range and organic system, for both the production of meat and eggs and barn system for egg production
How is alternative farming?
It is a mix between the cage system and free range system
Barn hens are housed on deep litter in secure and weatherproof sheds, while they are provided with water, feed, ventilation, space and nesting boxes
How is a barn poultry layer system?
A rearing phase and a laying phase
What does the two phase system contain?
Brooding and it has the pullets up to 6 weeks of age
What happens in the rearing phase?
Production of commercial eggs
- Housing of laying pullets from 18th week, laying starts in 22nd week
What happens in the laying phase?
They are chickens who respond to stress by attacking eachother through the fence. This can happen during intensive mass production
What are battery chickens?
- Excessive use of antibiotics
- Arsenic from soil or in feed
- Growth and steroid hormones
- Avian influenza and general welfare
What are some of the concerns in commercial egg production?
Sets found in the same folder
1. Origin and domestication of different…
2. Most common genetic diseases of poultry species…
3. Main reproduction features of poultry species,…
4. The layer hen type (breeding goal, us…
Other sets by this creator
Bacteriology practical 1
12. Breeding pigeon (goals, use, breeds,…
11. Breeding ducks (breeding goal, use,…
10. Goose breeding (breeding goal, use, breeds, tr…
Other Quizlet sets
Soil Sci quizzes 1-2