Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
CH 12 The Respiratory System
Terms in this set (24)
1. The nurse explains that the purpose of mucus is to:
Trap particles and bacteria
2. A patient with emphysema enters the emergency room with severe dyspnea; O2 saturation is 74%, pulse is 120, and respirations are 26. After positioning the patient in high Fowlers, the nurse should:
coach in pursed-lip breathing.
3. The nurse explains that the mechanism that triggers rate and depth of respiration is based on:
4. The nurse uses a visual aid to show the mechanics of inhaling which correctly illustrates:
the diaphragm moves down.
5. The nurse explains that the substance that decreases the surface tension of the alveolar walls is:
6. Using animation, the nurse demonstrates how most of the inspired oxygen is carried to the tissues by the:
red blood cells.
7. The nurse points out to the student nurse that one of the patients she is caring for has an obstructive respiratory disorder. The student is correct in identifying the patient diagnosed with __________ as having an obstructive disorder.
8. When reviewing risk factors, the nurse correctly identifies which patient as having the greatest risk of throat cancer?
The patient who drinks 4 vodka tonics per day.
9. The nurse cautions each person prior to giving the influenza immunization that they should not take it if they are allergic to:
10. After auscultating a coarse low-pitched sonorous rattling in the left lower lobe, the nurse is concerned that the patient may be developing:
an accumulation of secretions in the larger air passages.
11. When the nurse places the diaphragm of the stethoscope over one of the main bronchi, the expected normal breath sound heard is:
12. The nurse performing tracheal suctioning of the patient with a respiratory disorder should suction no longer than _____ seconds.
10 to 15
13. The nurse is aware that the patient is in respiratory failure when the blood gas findings are a PaO2 of _____ mm Hg and a PaCO2 of _____ mm Hg.
14. The nurse assesses a patients respirations who was recently admitted with a traumatic head injury. The nurse expects to find which type of breathing during the assessment?
15. After having the postoperative patient deep-breathe and cough, the nurse should offer
16. A patient is admitted to the medical unit with an acute illness accompanied by a fever for the last 3 days. What will likely be the patients respiratory response?
17. The nurse is caring for a patient with COPD who has been in the hospital for several days. The patient complains of shortness of breath and asks the nurse to turn up his oxygen to compensate for his labored breathing. What is the best nursing response?
Assess the patient in an attempt to identify the cause of the shortness of breath.
18. The nurse clarifies that when interstitial edema occurs in the lung tissue, ventilation is inhibited by: (Select all that apply.)
thickened alveolar membranes.
alveoli filling with fluid.
failure of gas to diffuse across membrane.
19. The nurse reminds a group of retirees that age may alter the respiratory systems by: (Select all that apply.)
NOT increased ciliary movement.
20. The U.S. Public Health Service recommends influenza immunization for: (Select all that apply.)
NOT compromised infants.
21. The nurse notes physical signs of labored breathing, which include: (Select all that apply.)
NOT productive cough.
22. The nurse explains that anorexia in the patient with a respiratory disorder may be attributed to: (Select all that apply.)
NOT increased sense of taste.
Trace the route of a molecule of oxygen inhaled from room air to the point of gas exchange.
1. Oxygen is inhaled through the nose
4.Left and right bronchi
Place in the appropriate sequence the steps of auscultation of the chest.
1. Place diaphragm of stethoscope above clavicles.
2.Move stethoscope from side to side down midline of the chest.
3. Place diaphragm of stethoscope above scapulae.
4. Move stethoscope side to side on either side of the spine.
5. Listen in midaxillary line to level of diaphragm.
Other sets by this creator
Chapter 24: Care of Patients with Peripheral Nerve…
chapter 30 NCLEX
Chapter 10 &11
Other Quizlet sets
Risk and Insurance
Labor at Risk
Clin Med III - Exam 1